• Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • You may have noticed this website was offline on Saturday 22nd September. Our web host suffered what is known as "a perfect storm". Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. As a result of restoring backups, we appear to have lost about 18 hours of posts, but hopefully nothing more. If your post seems to have been affected, please do repost, and we look forward to helping. If you have any questions, you're welcome to use the Contact Webmaster link on the page footer.
  • Lightroom Classic 7.5 and Lightroom CC 1.5 have just gone live, and there's some exciting mobile updates to follow. And the big news... my Lightroom CC - Edit Like a Pro book has just been released too!
  • Are you ever disappointed with your photos? Do you get frustrated when you’re editing because you’ve been told to move certain sliders, but never been told WHY? Do you wish you could transform your photos without having to spend hours in front of the computer? In my new book, Adobe Lightroom CC - Edit Like a Pro, you’ll learn:
    • how to to analyze a photo like a pro, saving you hours of frustration.
    • WHY you might want to move specific sliders, instead of just following recipes.
    • what the sliders are doing behind the scenes.
    • how to use sliders together, instead of in isolation, so you can get the optimal result
    The book is based on the cloud-native Lightroom CC desktop and mobile apps, but the principles also apply to Lightroom 6 and Lightroom Classic. The sliders are arranged into slightly different panels, but there's an included PDF that shows you where to find them in Lightroom Classic/6.

Photos get corrupted

palengh

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
I have experienced this error since LR 3.0, and on several different Windows versions, storages and even on OS High Sierra on Mac.

Anyone got a clue why this is happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tspear

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
This is data corruption. The cause of it is unknown without more information.
The basic questions are when does this occur? After you have edited the images, during import, after import....

palengh

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
The basic questions are when does this occur?
I don’t really know.
I ‘ve been testing a lot some years ago, without any conclusion.
My best shot would be it occurs when opening the image from grid view. I have not found any link to actually editing the photo.
It happened both to jpeg’s and NEF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tspear

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
If the problem is internal to Lr, then this likely is a video card problem.
Otherwise, the data is corrupted before Lr gets uses it. In the library module, Lr uses built in previews of the file, and previously generated previews.
The develop module uses the actual raw data of the image (from a simple perspective, there actually is a series of file caches involved to increase performance).

So was the file always this way? When you compare the image file to your backup, are they the same at a bit level?

Tim

palengh

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
If the problem is internal to Lr, then this likely is a video card problem.
I’ve Steen this on different Windows PC’s and finally also on my iMac. The iMac even got new RAM to try to sort this out.
Code:
 Otherwise, the data is corrupted before Lr gets uses it.
This could be, but still I have experienced the photos being edited in LR Developers module, all good. Went back to the to-be-corrupted photo selvrealisering mintes later, opening it for more developing, and Boom! It’s cortuoted.

Code:
So was the file always this way? When you compare the image file to your backup, are they the same at a bit level?
The backup seems fine, and when swapping the files it seems to be fine.
How do I check at a bit level?

Pål Engh
NORWAY

JohanElzenga

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7

palengh

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
Thank you for all your answers.
Still I would like to know how I can prevent such errors in the future? I have several of these - far too many to not try to sort it out.

Regards

Pål Engh
Fredrikstad, NORWAY

Roelof Moorlag

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
I don't know if it's possible to prevent file corruption. However, it is possible to discover it in an early stage with the mentioned tooling.
To minimize the chance on file corruption you should use good quality hard disc's and replace them after a few years.

palengh

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
To minimize the chance on file corruption you should use good quality hard disc's and replace them after a few years.
I know. My current disk on the NAS is 2 years now, and is not too busy (private usage).

Regards

Pål Engh
Fredrikstad, NORWAY

palengh

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
Do you have trouble finding the corrupted images?
When you do, it is possible to use the (free) DNG converter from Adobe to trace them.
Can you explain this?
You suggest to convert all files to DNG?

Regards

Pål Engh
Fredrikstad, NORWAY

palengh

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
I checked this image (top of thread) and if I get it right, LR do not write to NEF files.
The HDD do not report any sector/HW fault.
Then, what is causing this?

corrupt photo.jpeg

Regards

Pål Engh
Fredrikstad, NORWAY

Roelof Moorlag

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
I checked this image (top of thread) and if I get it right, LR do not write to NEF files.
Yes, Lightroom is non-destructive. All edits are saved in the database as instructions. The original file is not touched so the cause of the corruption must be outside of Lightroom.

The HDD do not report any sector/HW fault.
Then, what is causing this?
Sector/HW faults are not the only cause for file corruption. A virus is also possible for instance but in most situations it's some kind of hardware problem.