• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Photos Export Cool from LR on Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 8
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
A year ago I upgraded my computer. I started with an HP Pavillion All in one 27 ". I brought it home and downloaded LR. I did several test photos which looked amazing on the HP, but when I exported, the photos were significantly cooler with red tones; this was a consistent theme on 5 different computers viewed via email, online gallery and facebook. I spent 72 hours calibrating the screen, uninstalling and reinstalling LR; talking to both HP support and Adobe support with no solution. Finally I bowed to the pressure that I needed an Apple to edit and returned the HP.
I exchanged for an IMAC MMQA2C/A 21.5.
I downloaded LR and did several test images. Exactly the same problem. Images export significantly cooler with red tones. I reinstalled LR. I called Apple, who screen shared and found no issue. I deleted and reinstalled all presets. I mirrored all the settings on my laptop which edits images perfectly. I called Adobe 4 times and screen shared each time and was told that my computer was fine; it wall all the other computers which were wrong. I calibrated my screen 3 times. I took the Imac to a friend and we mirrored her settings. The only difference we found was that the version I had downloaded was 7.5 and she was operating on 6. I deleted LR again and reinstalled version 6. This helped a bit; but still the images exported cooler.
Recently my LR had to upgrade to the newest version because it kept crashing. And the problem is back to the point I cannot edit on it.
It is like LR is applying a cool preset to my images as they export. But I cannot find anything.
I am so frustrated and upset.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wow! What a saga - and frustration. I'm not sure I can help but let me suggest some ideas that may help isolate the issue. What I'm struggling with is whether the problem is in the Catalog, the Installation of LR, or your computer. Probably not the computer as the problem migrated from the HP to the iMac but depending on how you migrated from the HP to the iMac the problematic component may have migrated too.

1) So, this problem exists on 2 computers - the returned HP and your current iMac. But does not exist on your laptop,

2) is the problem present with images taken with another camera? Ask your fried (who presumably has a different model camera and even better a different brand) to send you some unprocessed images from their camera and see what happens with those.

3) Have you tried your test images on your friends computer, using your friends catalog? If the problem does not transfer in this test, it indicates that the issues is with your system and not endemic to LR itself.

4) You don't say whether or not the LR catalog you used on the HP and the iMac were copies of each other. If you copied the catalog from one machine to another (and the problem followed along), try creating a brand new empty catalog on your iMac and repeat your experiment. If the problem stays, then we can rule out catalog settings. If the problem goes away, then we can assume there is something in your catalog that is at the root of the issue.

5) You also did not indicate if you are using the same catalog on both your iMac and your laptop. If you are not, then copy the catalog from the iMac to the laptop and see if the problem comes with it. It the problem does come with it, then the issue is in the catalog and if the images behave correctly on the laptop with the same catalog as you use on the iMac than it's not the catalog.

6) You did not mention how you migrated computers. If system folders (e.g. App Data on the HP) were copied or transfered to the iMac (I don't know if that is possible) it may be an issue. Also, when you re-installed LR on these various machines, did you first do an uninstall or just a re-install? If you did not do an uninstall first, try that and also search your entire computer for any "left over" files in folders such as the programs folder, the application data folder (not sure where Mac's keep this stuff) etc. I'd kill off anything on the entire system drive that had the word Adobe anywhere in the folder path and start from scratch. This could also affect Photoshop and other Adobe products so if you use a bunch of them, proceed cautiously or just bit the bullet and kill them all off and start from scratch.

Anyway, I know none of this is an answer, but perhaps doing some of these tests will help narrow down the range possible causes.

Thank you for the reply.

Nothing was migrated from either system. The LR was downloaded as a new program each time.
I even reset the computers and redownloaded LR. Nothing changed.
The catalogues were not migrated.

After reviewing this I have several questions.
  • How did you calibrate the monitor used with the Mac? The only way to get an accurate color display is using a colorimeter (puck) and colorimeter software. (ColorMunki, I1DisplayPro, and Spyder are examples). You can approximate color tuning with an eyeballed calibration, but this is subjective and dependent on how the user perceives the color.
  • What color profile are you using on the current computer (Mac?). Can you change the file name extension (*.icc) to (*.txt) to attach it to your next reply. (You can attach text files but not icc files to the forum posts).
  • When you export, what color profile is assigned to the new JPG? It should be the generic sRGB color profile for projected media and no other.
Can you upload one of the exported image files to WeTransfer Email the link to the uploaded file to "customer.clee(at)att(dot)net

Hi Heather, welcome to the forum! That does sound like a nightmare!

In addition to the excellent points made by Dan and Clee, a couple more things spring to mind:

1. Are you calibrating with the same calibration device each time? Does your friend have one you can borrow? The reason I ask is calibration devices can do weird things as they start to die.

2. When you exported, the photos were significantly cooler with red tones... did the exported photos also look like this on your computer? And if so, in what are you viewing the exported photos? If you import one of the exported photos back into LR and compare it with the original, do they look the same?

I think you can jump back up to LR Classic 8.2 now. I wouldn't anticipate LR6 vs 7.5 being in the mix.

All of you are way ahead of me and this probably couldn't have slipped through the cracks, but at one time after a LR re-install the color profile in the export dialog ended up being Profoto RGB or something other than sRGB ...with really bad results! Switching back to sRGB resolved the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back