• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module Photo / Video Integration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkjones

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic CC
Operating System
  1. Windows 8
  2. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
  3. iOS
Victoria,
I realize this is a big topic but I think it deserves some discussion and some of your excellent guidance. I have several different cameras [Canon Mark 5 III, multiple iPhone 8 plus, Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 etc] each producing a stream of intermixed photo images & video images over time. Each camera manufacturer has chosen several filetypes and metadata for images for each of these streams. Lightroom Classic CC has in turn chosen to support these filetypes and metadata in a unique way but is failing [in my opinion] to provide the consistency that I am looking for. This problem is getting worse now that Apple has introduced HEVC filetypes and Lightroom has chosen not to support them. Perhaps this is a temporary problem and I can see that new filetypes that support single, burst and video images are a good idea for the future.

Particularly irksome about this lack of consistency for example is that archiving images in different streams in parallel over time becomes difficult when Lightroom does not provide a consistent "capture date time" for all images. I choose to archive all my images by modifying filenames to "YYYY-MM-DD hh-mm-ss <camera name> <original filename> and have survived for several years but I am now concerned a) more video images (single, burst & video) are appearing in my streams [that is good!] but b) Lightroom is not providing a robust solution for archiving images in a consistent manner. My question to you is a) what is Lightroom philosophy / strategy for this integration and ... b) should I be looking for a new / better solution ?

Thanks as always for your excellent help.
Keith

Hi Keith.

Video metadata is a pain and Lightroom doesn't handle it very well, no question.

But as far as images go, where are you seeing inconsistencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back