Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
Computer: iMac/ OS 10.10.5
LR: 6.14 Desktop (non-subscription)

I am a LR newby and had not used the panorama feature before. For some resaon I am not able to get it to work on my three photos as discussed below.

I took some shots of the chassis of my car and am not able to merge the three photos. Before selecting 'Panorama" from the "Photo Merge" tab while in "Library" mode, I rotated the three photos counter-clockwise to line them up front-to-back, left-to-right. I then cropped them somewhat to eliminate the car lift components. I have attached the (highlighted) images for reference.

When I selected "panorama" as mentioned above, the machine initiated photo merge but did not complete it. I got an error message instead (attached).

Is there a workaround for this error? Am I following incorrect procedures?

Comments/solutions appreciated.

Best,
rdsieber
Highlited Chassis Fotos 4 Merge.png
Pano Err Msg.png

Can you try again without the crop? It's always best to crop after once you see how the joins work! Also LR likes to sort the orientation itself. Did you try the different options (pano types)?

Computer: iMac/ OS 10.10.5
LR: 6.14 Desktop (non-subscription)
Before selecting 'Panorama" from the "Photo Merge" tab while in "Library" mode, I rotated the three photos counter-clockwise to line them up front-to-back, left-to-right. I then cropped them somewhat to eliminate the car lift components. I have attached the (highlighted) images for reference.

Best,
rdsieberView attachment 13202View attachment 13203
I think the problem may be the crop/rotate issue. It is my understanding that Lightroom panorama is going to always work with the original file. And the cropped rotation that you did only happened in the Lightroom edit parameters in the catalog and not in the original files that Lightroom is trying to merge.

Try this: Take the images (VCs) that you have adjusted and export them adding the exported file to the catalog. Then working with the derivative files try the photo panorama merge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paul and C Lee:
I'm aware that there are different pano types but am unable to get to them in order to select the type. For some reason I had thought that there was a "history" on the images, that one could go back and click on a prior unedited image. That would aid me greatly in trying to merge unedited photos. I also have a preset image edit that adjusts the photos as they load into the library. Being a newby, I "undid" my crops and also re-oriented them, thus arranging them from top to bottom as they came out of the camera. That didn't help either.

I then exported the edited photos as DNGs and re-imported the. Again they failed to merge.

I looked back at my photo collection and the images stored display with the edits, so I am not sure how to get back to the "originals." And, I am not able to re-load the original shots, as LR has them "grayed out" when I view the photo card that I want to reload them from.

I will next try to manually "stack" the photos as a group and then see if that does anything.

There are several things that have to be the same when trying a pano merge, especially in LR6 (rules were relaxed in LR Classic)....focal length has to be the same on all source images, pixel dimensions have to be the same (so crop after, not before), and there needs to be an approximate 30% overlap of image details on each of the source images. I can't make out where the middle image (#7 in your screenshot) fits into the sequence, i.e. I can't detect the overlap. Not saying it's not there, just saying it's not obvious from the small thumbnails. Certainly something you need to check.

Jim:
Shot 3 is the front of the car, shot 7 the middle, and shot 10 the back end. I thought that I had enough overlap by counting the panels underneath. Shot 3 includes three panels to the right of the axle; shot 7 includes those and continues to where the panels end and the transmission begins at the right of the photo; shot ten overlaps (to the left) two panels that are included in shot 7.

With photo merging the three images without editing out some of the auto lift brackets (seen in red), I had feared that they would be included in the merged final image, which would not be acceptable. I therefore cut them out.

My other alternative in this effort would be to have a Photoshop friend merge the three images for me, and it looks like I have to go down that path. I surmise that, from what you have written, there is more limitation in what LR can do when merging images. Knowing the pre-shoot requirements that you have specified will help me to do it better the next time. Thank you for your coimments.

Best to all,
=rds

Hello everybody,
it seems to me, that the camera was not turned around the "Nodal Point" (google it) and that you are trying to stitch a so called "Linear Panorama" (google it). Linear Panoramas could not be stitched with the automatic Merge Function, neither in Lightroom nor in Photoshop. It is only possible to do it manually in Photoshop (Auto Align and transforming the layers of the photos and finally Auto-Blend Layers.)
Example: Graffiti von Prof. Rodolfo Battini, Rio Marina, Elba, Foto von: Hannes Löhr (Rio Marina)
Hannes

Hannes:
Good points. Another rookie mistake on my part. Since I don't have a way to crawl back under a lift and shoot the project again, I'll find someone who can stitch the three fotos together. Will get it done somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back