Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Hi.
I've just started using Photo Mechanic. I like to cull and add metadata to my photos in Photo Mechanic then move them to Lightroom to tone by using Image, Edit Photos and they open right up in LR. Is there a way to easily move them back into PM to transfer them to my newspaper clients without saving them again in a folder on my desktop them moving them back into Photo Mechanic?
Thanks!

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
All of the features that you reference in Photo Mechanic are in Lightroom Classic and I’m pretty sure in Lightroom too. I know some people like Photo Mechanic but do you really need 2 asset management tools in your workflow (PM & Lr)? Lightroom is not creating a derivative (edited) file. It only creates edits, metadata which must be merged with the unaltered original to create a new derivative file. Lightroom has both “Share” and “Export” options which let to send this derivative file to another location or app outside of Lightroom . I think there are better ways to streamline your workflow.

No workflow using a non destructive editor (Lightroom, Lightroom Classic) is going to get you out of creating a derivative file containing an adjusted image

lisareneekyle

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hi. I have to be able to FTP the photos not just share by email. I can do that directly from Photo Mechanic without using separate software. Can't do that from Lightroom. I also find the captioning process on Lightroom frustrating as we can't see the entire caption at once.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I think you already identified how you can do it, export from LR and open in PM again so you have the edited/updated images.

There's way to get the edited image in PM to FTP as it doesn't exist in LR, it is generated on the fly, until you export it.

There are FTP tools available for lightroom. I found this in a quick search and know absolutely nothing about it, but it might let you FTP from LR instead of PM.

How to Send Piles of Files - FTP Your Photos Directly From Lightroom Classic

Lightroom Experience
Power User
The key is that the original poster is using Cloudy Lightroom:
I also find the captioning process on Lightroom frustrating as we can't see the entire caption at once.
Classic Lightroom doesn't have this ludicrous limitation, and the SDK's plugin works fine - I've used it in the past. So it would mean you can manage, edit and FTP in a single package.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hi. I have to be able to FTP the photos not just share by email. I can do that directly from Photo Mechanic without using separate software. Can't do that from Lightroom. I also find the captioning process on Lightroom frustrating as we can't see the entire caption at once.

If you are not to deeply entrenched in Lightroom, you might consider switching to Lightroom Classic where these issues can go away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk