• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Photo Face tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddwarf4ever

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have many folders with both tiff AND jpg FILES where the jpgs are the same photos as the tiff photos.

when face tagging, it would be easier to simply tag the jpg photos, only half the work, then batch copy the face tag metadata from the jpgs to the tiff files, does that make sense ?
and if so does it sound doable ? looked at exiftool, not sure if thats the best solution and if i could only copy the TAGS metadata across

thanks

When you apply a name to a face rectangle, LR stores three things in the photo metadata: the coordinates of the rectangle, the name applied to the rectangle, and a keyword of the same name.

The Syncomatic plugin will copy those keywords from the JPEGs to the similarly named TIFFs, but it won't copy the rectangles or the names applied to the rectangles. LR doesn't expose the metadata fields representing the rectangles and their names to plugins (though they can access it using Exiftool on the photos.)

It is possible to use Exiftool to copy the rectangles and names applied to the rectangles from the JPEGs to the TIFFs, but that would involve some googling to discover the precise Region fields to copy and the magic Exiftool options. Be sure to do Metadata > Save Metadata To File before invoking Exiftool and then Metadata > Read Metadata From File after -- otherwise, you could lose metadata from the catalog.

(Also, to avoid future confusion: The LR documentation uses "tag" informally in different contexts referring to different metadata fields and the process of setting those fields. The term "keyword" is unambiguous. When dealing with metadata, it's important to be precise, since different apps use the same terms to mean different things.)

But I have to ask, why TIFF and JPEG? Raw and JPEG isn’t unusual, but what are you gaining from TIFF and JPEG pairs?

Never Used Raw, TBH I have enough to get my dad around at the moment, TIFF being lossless is what I scan my photos in, and then the JPGs are to send to friends to view on tablets phones TVs etc, being more standard and smaller file size. Once I get a camera that takes RAW images, I’ll embark on learning how to use them, I’m learning Photoshop and Lightroom at the same time, if I can get my ‘ collection’ of several thousand photos name tagged I’ll be very happy, my old family photos are being scanned by a company @1200 in tiff, I have asked for non enhanced, but also asked for a price and samples of enhanced images the enhancement is done during the scanning, not sure if that will be best, or use Lightroom to do the same batch enhancement, i know it’s not ideal bit with 1600 photos, I can’t do them individually, so it’s the scan company or me doing the enhancement, don’t know what’s the best choice

Ah yes, that makes sense. I would just question whether it's worth having those "exported" JPEGs in your LR catalog at all? I might handle it slightly differently, just cataloging the "originals" in Lightroom and then either exporting photos on demand (so they have the very latest metadata) or using something like Jeffrey's Folder Publisher to create a parallel structure with just the shareable JPEGs in it. Just a thought though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back