• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! Color Grading and improved zoom across the whole Lightroom family, plus graphical watermarks for the cloud-based Lightroom apps, as well as the usual new cameras, lens profiles and bug fixes. See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

Perpetual to CC

PatrickC

Lightroom Version
Lightroom 6 Perpetual
Operating System
Windows 10
I have resisted being blackmailed by Adobe into joining their subscription-based money drain, but a friend showed me some of the recent additions to the toolset and I want to try it out in the hope that I can persuade myself to maintain my principled stance. I am forced to admit that it is looking increasingly difficult.

So I installed the CC 'App'. I installed 'Lightroom CC', but that is cloud only and I certainly don't want to go there. I went to install 'Lightroom Classic CC' but it only offers me 'Update', no 'Try'.

I don't want to be locked in to the subscription version, at least not yet. I have Lightroom 6 perpetual. If I install this 'Update', will I be able to maintain two catalogs; a subset catalog which I plan to use only to evaluate CC and my main catalog which I would want to continue to open with LR 6 Perpetual.

I hate being blackmailed by mega corporations!

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
I went to install 'Lightroom Classic CC' but it only offers me 'Update', no 'Try'.
Unless clicking on "Update" takes you to a Purchase Subscription website, then the install is a trial. It will create a new LR7 catalog structure from the data in your legacy catalog. You can use this until the trial runs out or you buy a subscription. If you elect to opt out of the subscription, uninstall the apps and revert to your LR6 catalog file.

PatrickC

Thank you. So that means that I will not be able to run both LR 6 Perpetual and LR Classic CC on the same machine? I need to have access to, and be able to modify, my LR 6 catalogue while I run the trial, so if LR Classic CC overwrites LR 6 I will have to install it on another machine, which is a pain.

And yes, I view the withdrawal of perpetual liceses as blackmail, or more correctly as an abuse of a monopoly. For professional use there is effectively no alternative to Lightroom/Photoshop, so I am left with only one choice. Being semi-retired I am loath to be locked into a monopoly subscription service whose price may rise at the whim of a large corporation and whose functionality I will lose if I choose to stop paying, or if I am unable to continue with the payments.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Confirming Johan's comments about not being able to run both at the same time, be careful when you install Classic and review any options. IIRC by default it uninstalls the previous version, but there is an option to stop this happening.