• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Performance improvments for OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Harrzack

Before LR 1.2 i was using Bridge to manage my images. Now with CS3 and LR, I've been comparing the two. One big thing that strikes me is the way LR causes my G5 (2.5 GHz, 6g ram, OSX 1'.4.1') to kick in to "heavy overdrive" whenever I interact with a group of images.

Apparently LR is doing some HEAVY lifting as the fans on the G5 kick into "jet engine" mode and scream away furiously for maybe 2 or 3 minutes. Especially during imports. And the fans noisily kick in from time to time when just browsing and reviewing images.

Bridge CS3 (gross folder icons aside) pops the thumbnails into view with only the bares twitch of the fans.

I think the Lua language LR was written in may be somewhat responsible for these performance shortcomings.

rcannonp

What are your Bridge thumbnail prefs set to? If it's Quick Thumbnail or Convert to High Quality When Previewed it won't take as much juice to run it. Previewing a lot of files at high quality in Bridge can get my MBP running pretty well. I've found LR to be much faster to import and display pictures. I've tried using Bridge on a photo shoot, and it was painfully slow when dealing with large numbers of images.

Status
Not open for further replies.