• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

People View - selecting the main photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobOK

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Cloudy latest version 4
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
In People View, there are some people who I have taken really nice portraits of but LR is picking a dark or blurry image as the one to show on the main page.

Is there a way to override its selection?

Thanks!

i swear i tried that befor (Set Cover Photo)... it works but a little glitchy, like sometimes it doesn't stick and I ahve to go in again.

It may be downloading full size from cloud and re-cropping or something.

But eventually it works, thanks!

Setting the Cover Photo was really a problem in the early days, as it would often get messed up by wrongly taking into account the fact that the underlying image may have been cropped....often resulting in the chosen face being off-centre (in some extreme cases the "Face" was just a part of the background). Sometimes non-destructive editing has its disadvantages! I got quite fed up with this and eventually I created a set of uncropped jpegs containing the face that I wanted as the cover, then used those. Eventually the kinks seemed to get ironed out so I was able to get rid of those jpegs, but it wouldn't be surprising to still see some residual issues.

wrongly taking into account the fact that the underlying image may have been cropped....often resulting in the chosen face being off-centre (in some extreme cases the "Face" was just a part of the background).
Glad to see an explanation of this, and to know that it wasn't just me. I had photos of an old female friend of mine, and for some reason the cover photo kept showing her chest! Not a good look ... :rolleyes:

i swear i tried that befor (Set Cover Photo)...
Is this option still present in a right-click menu? I am in LR Classic CC, People View, double-clicked the person with the terrible choice of "cover photo", and now I can see all the Confirmed thumbnails of him. But right-clicking any of them doesn't show any options. Just clicking a good one also does nothing, but does highlight the image in the bottom tray - so I tried right-clicking in there too, and no option is shown in the list (Closest was "Set Reference Photo" but that's not it... just curious because Lr has chosen the absolute crappiest face in every single person to use as the cover photo. I'd rather not use this feature at all than go through my library looking at these horrible images.

Is this option still present in a right-click menu?
Yes, in the cloud-based version of Lightroom. There isn't really a comparable "People View" in Lightroom Classic, so the option does not appear there.

Yes, in the cloud-based version of Lightroom. There isn't really a comparable "People View" in Lightroom Classic, so the option does not appear there.
Interesting. Lr Classic Library pane seems to have 5 views - grid, loupe, compare, survey, and people - they list the People hotkey as O. Not sure why that's not comparable to the cloud version's People, but it's annoying as heck to not be able to change the person's thumbnail. Thanks for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back