• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

PDF Files question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjlad

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi there,
I get all my model releases in PDF form, and often get a bio of the model or company I'm shooting for in PDF form as well.
For simplicity, I file all those with the images for that particular photoshoot.

Sometimes ...for proofing I make a little booklet for the customer that can be viewed or printed. I've been using Word for those since I can drop in photos as well as PDF's and pretty well anything else.
In Lightroom I can't even VIEW or READ the pdf files, let alone drop them into the Print or Book modules.
Why the heck is that, when Adobe PDF is the format???

Look up AnyFile by John Ellis.

But yes, Lightroom's cataloguing is arbitrary.

Look up AnyFile by John Ellis.

But yes, Lightroom's cataloguing is arbitrary.
Thanks, but ...

Arbitrary: "based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system"

Not sure what to make of that answer John...? I've never thought LR was random or on a whim ...

Hi again,
I downloaded and installed that plugin and had to email John Ellis the following:
Hi John,
Hope this finds you and yours well.
John Beardy on the LR forum recommended this plugin for me because I have model releases and other information I like to file with the shoot photos, and ideally import into LR.
I installed the plugin and tried to import PDF files stored with the photos, and none were visible.
Rebooted and tried again and still not working.
My Plugin Manager's list of plugins shows it "Installed and running" and the Status shows "This plug-in is enabled"

However, the import module does not discover any .pdf files.
I just 'printed' this email to a pdf into the same location and LR didn't find that either
Next I saved it as a plain txt file and LR didn't find that one either.

Is there a setting in LR that has to be tweaked to make this work?

Thanks in advance!

Hi again,
I downloaded and installed that plugin and had to email John Ellis the following:
Hi John,
Hope this finds you and yours well.
John Beardy on the LR forum recommended this plugin for me because I have model releases and other information I like to file with the shoot photos, and ideally import into LR.
I installed the plugin and tried to import PDF files stored with the photos, and none were visible.
Rebooted and tried again and still not working.
My Plugin Manager's list of plugins shows it "Installed and running" and the Status shows "This plug-in is enabled"

However, the import module does not discover any .pdf files.
I just 'printed' this email to a pdf into the same location and LR didn't find that either
Next I saved it as a plain txt file and LR didn't find that one either.

Is there a setting in LR that has to be tweaked to make this work?

Thanks in advance!
Further to this I found the shortcut Alt-I does not invoke the Import Module (laptop just beeps), but Library/Plug-in Extras/Any File/Import does. so I'll just do it that way. I let John Ellis know as well.

the shortcut Alt-I does not invoke the Import Module
I closed the loop with jjlad. For reference by future readers, ALT + I isn't defined as a shortcut by Any File. On Windows, you can use the standard menu accelerators to access the Library > Plug-in Extras > Any File > Import command: ALT + L to open the Library menu, U to open Plug-in Extras submenu, I to invoke the Import command.

You could import it if it were a jpeg file though. So, take a photo of the (printed) pdf? Scan it to a jpeg? Sometimes I force a file into a format that will import into my DAM (not LR), the file imports as corrupted (which it is because it isn't the format stated), however that acts as a sufficient reminder to me that it is there and I can trivially go back and fix the problem so the file opens fine (still outside LR and my DAM). I agree, not ideal, it works for me.

Or, you could be satisfied by
-Photographing the Model Release with camera. (Imported with model images)
-a Screen-clip (from the viewed PDF in a PDF reader). Save the clip to a LrC 'Auto Import' folder.
(For a Windows screen-clip tool, I am liking 'Greenshot' Greenshot )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back