• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Import Parent File issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffro

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
LR CC version 8.0
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hi,

I have used LR for about 4 years & reasonably OK with it, however I have recently had a problem when importing images. My system is set up as follows:-

Mac - HD>Users>Jeffneale>Pictures>My Lightroom>Folders.

When importing images they don't appear to be finding the Parent Folder "Pictures" in the Library panel Lr bypass this & go straight into MacHD . This problem came to light when I sync'd a particular folder after work in PS CC - it sync'd additional images apart from the one that I had worked on.

I have attached three screen shots to show:-

Lr Library module with a recent imported file that sits above Pictures
Lr Import dialogue box
Mac file structure

Hopefully you can help me.

Many thanks,

Jeff

Screenshot 2018-11-22 at 16.28.29.pngScreenshot 2018-11-22 at 16.29.21.pngScreenshot 2018-11-22 at 16.30.22.png

This looks like the 'capitalisation problem', but I'm a bit puzzled. Your second screenshot shows the import dialog, and how a folder hierarchy will be created inside the 'Jeffro' folder (which will also be created). The '2017' subfolder will contain 49 images, and a '2018' subfolder will be created with 90 images. However, your first screenshot shows this 'Jeffro' folder as an existing (but empty) folder, and there is only a '2017' folder with one image and no 2018 folder. Didn't you go through with the import?

To solve this we need a screenshot of the disk, showing the 'Pictures' folder hierarchy. Your third screenshot only shows 'My Lightroom Photos' and no hierarchy.

Hi Johan,

Thanks for looking at my issue.

I only downloaded 1 image to to test the problem rather than all of them to the 'Jeffro' folder which ended up as '2017' > December folder & outside of the HD folder.

I have attached the screenshot that you requested.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Jeff

Screenshot 2018-11-22 at 19.07.36.png

So where is the '2017' folder in reality? Your screenshot does not show that. And what about the other year folders that are shown at the same level of the 'My Lightroom Photos' folder? Are these not imported in Lightroom?

Hi Johan,

The files are in Lightroom (& Finder) but in the wrong place in Lr as described below- 01 & 02 Screenshots attached ( I have now downloaded all those files from that photo shoot)

As you see from the other screen shots, imported files are creating a new Lightroom folder in the Lr Library Module in addition to the one that already exists, so it appears that the destination folder is not being found correctly as I import. The files in Finder under the Picture path seem OK.

I right 'clicked' on the Pictures folder in Lr Library Module to see the Parent Folder & the Error message appeared - 03 Screenshot attached.

I also expanded the Parent file path for 'Jeffro' folder & up came the new 'My LightRoom Photos' folder - 04 Screenshoot attached.

Hope this helps,

Jeff
01 Screenshot.png02 Screenshot.png03 Screenshot .png04 Screenshot .png

OK, this is indeed a well-known problem, called the 'Capitalisation problem'. Basically, what happens is that you have two different folders, one called ‘XXXX’ and the other one called ‘xxxx’. In other words, the names are the same, except for the capitalisation. Because MacOS and Windows are case-insensitive, your OS sees those two folders as one and the same folder and so it deals with this without you even being aware of it. You will only see one version. But Lightroom is case-sensitive, so Lightroom does see two different folders. In your case, the folder in question is most likely the 'Pictures' folder.

Here's how to fix the problem:
1. Backup your catalog.
2. Create a folder directly on the root of your internal hard drive, call it whatever you want, say "Capitals Fix". Note: do this in the Finder, not in Lightroom.
3. Right-click on the “My Lightroom Photos” folder at the top of the Lightroom Folders Panel and select "Update Folder Location". In the file browser that opens, browse to and select the "Capitals Fix" folder.
4. Don't be alarmed as this ‘My Lightroom Photos’ folder will disappear from the Folders Panel. "Capitals Fix" will appear but all the sub-folders that were listed under ‘My Lightroom Photos’ will now have "?" marks.
5. Now right-click on "Capitals Fix" in the Folders Panel, and again choose"Update Folder Location". This time browse to and select the “My Lightroom Photos” folder. You may get a "Merge" dialog box, select "Merge" and everything should resolve itself.

Hi Johan,

It works, many thanks for your help - fantastic.

One last point, if I create a new folder in Lr Library Module - Pictures>My Lightroom>New Folder XXXX it is replicated in Finder - no problem, however if I create a new folder in Finder - Pictures>My Lightroom Photos>New Folder XXXX it is not replicated in Lr Library Module.

I'm sure this used to be the case before.

Jeff

if I create a new folder in Finder - Pictures>My Lightroom Photos>New Folder XXXX it is not replicated in Lr Library Module.
That is normal. Lightroom is not a browser, it's a catalog application. It will only show those folders which contain(ed) images that are imported in Lightroom. And folders that were created by Lightroom, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back