output jpg with caption on image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newmarket2

I'm trying to output jpegs that have text superimposed on the image itself (as opposed to including it with the meta-data).

Here's why (in case you have a better idea for going about what I'm trying to do).....
after doing my initial rating and developing of images in LR, I output them as jpgs and run them as a background in Windows.
That way, I can see the images with a fresh eye and spot ones that really work and those that don't really make it.
BUT, when I spot an image I want to do something with, I have no easy way of finding that specific image. All I need is the file name. And, if I could superimpose the file name on the image the way I can with a copyright, that's all I'd need.

I think it would be even better, Mark.....the Windows Background app isn't colour-managed which causes a problem on wide-gamut monitors such as mine.

But to answer the original question, you can use Print to Jpeg which will allow the file-name to be included (though below the image, not super-imposed). For the latter, the LR/Mogrify2 plug-in works well.

Jim,
I see how that's done, but remember I'm doing this for several hundred images which are a mix of portrait and landscape orientation. I figured out how to orient the page to one or the other, but it seems to be a manual process to do so, whereas with EXPORT it's not necessary. I suppose I could select all the portraits and "print" them and then all the landscapes. Any ideas?
Mark,
If I'm working on an image, I know how to display it in full screen, but what I'm trying to do here is to create a "surprise" if you will. I will see the screen saver or background when I'm NOT working on the images. I've had this happen a number of times where, while I"m working I lose the ability to "see" good and bad; but, when I've been doing emails and close the windows and see an image, it's a surprise and often I will spot one that is excellent or poor where I wouldn't have while working on those images.

One solution would be to use a watermark where a value is substituted for each image, but I suspect that watermarks can only be pre-defined.
I envision a watermark of
#file_name
where the actual file name for the specific image is the watermark that prints.

Have you considered the LR/Mogrify2 plug-in? I use it quite a lot to overlay captions on the images that I export to a couple of digital photo frames, as well as add borders. Most metadata tokens can be used, including file-name.

Jim,
I've used it before (or some other plugin that used Mogrify2). Will check it out.

I recently printed dozens of headshots on one page with the models name printed directly under each image, contact print style. In the print module there is an option to include specific text and you can select to include text from metadata fields.
i am not at my pc right now so I can not check the specific menu option.
piffle you can not find the menu option, message me and I will look it up.

Without any plugin
May be this will help : http://blogs.adobe.com/phosphors/2010/10/add-captions-in-lightroom.html
Extract:
When you export photos, all the metadata, including captions, is embedded—unless you choose Minimize Embedded Metadata in the Export dialog box or Lightroom Publishing Manager dialog box. (See Specify metadata handling for exported photos.) But if you want to see
the captions on the exported photo, here’s a trick: Export JPEGs of captioned slides.
In the Slideshow module, create your slide show with captions as described above, and then press Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac OS) to change the Export PDF button to Export JPEG. Click the Export JPEG button to export the photos as JPEGs with captions (and other slide layout and overlay options) intact.

With LR/Mogrify 2 (
http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/41220/is-there-a-way-to-add-captions-to-lightroom-photos-based-on-title-and-or-descrip)
The LR/Mogrify 2 plugin allows to add any metadata. Once you've followed the installation instructions, do the following:

1. Bring up the Export dialog.
  2. In the Post-Process Actions window, double-click Text Annotations (under LR/Mogrify 2)
  3. In Define your text, enter {title}. (You can also get there by clicking Add Token, then picking Title of photo in the IPTC Tokens list.)
You can also use the Outer Borders feature of LR/Mogrify 2 to put the caption in a border rather than over the photo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back