• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

OSX Leopard In Your Future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here! I doubt it will take long for me to decide to put it on my iMac and damn the consequences. And the closer we get to Friday the more I'm thinking I should just do that, and leave the old stuff on the laptop just in case. Hmmm... :)

It is a nice release, not as big a leap in obvious features as the launch of Tiger, but lots of new stuff under the hood.

It is noticeably faster on a range of Macs from a 12" Powerbook to a new iMac.

Unfortunately I am away for the actual release, but Uncle Amazon will be there for me I'm sure!

Time Machine and Spaces will be very useful features!

I'm really unexcited by 1'.5. It seems to me that a lot of the new features aren't needed, don't go far enough, or I've already found a way to do them with what I've got now. I think that I'm going to wait until I find that I need something that it's offering or some new app release that I can't live without requires it.

Some of the new features may be more interesting than a few screenshots and a short description on Apple's website make them seem. Spaces for instance, I can't figure out exactly what it does and why I would need it. It may be one of those things that I didn't know that I couldn't live without.

I have no interest in Spaces either, but that's not enough to keep me from upgrading. 64 bit support, a reported huge speed increase, Time Machine, the new Finder, and a more consistent look throughout the OS is what has me hooked. Plus, just having come from the Windows side of life, the ability to get 5 copies for $2''.'' USD is a huge bonus!

I did it!

The finder is one area where I think that they didn't go far enough. I would really love to see a dual pane mode or at least tabs.
Maybe in 1'.6?

meanwhile I just placed my 'Free' upgrade order off my new laptop. Sweet!

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Don

Have you looked at Path Finder Cannon? It's a great finder replacement with tabs. I'd like to have seen this functionality built into Leopard, but this isn't a bad compromise.

Victoria Bampton;186' said:
Have you looked at Path Finder Cannon? It's a great finder replacement with tabs. I'd like to have seen this functionality built into Leopard, but this isn't a bad compromise.

I've briefly tried out the demos of Pathfinder and Forklift. I figured that I would wait and see how things played out with 1'.5 before I drop any more money on that sort of thing. I've also gotten into the copy and move functions of Bridge for shuffling files around.

Spaces for instance, I can't figure out exactly what it does and why I would need it.
For those of us coming from the X Window System world, Spaces is nothing new -- but it is extremely useful!

(I worked at MIT Project Athena 2'+ years ago, the project that developed X, and wrote much of the original X Video Toolkit.)

It's probably one of those things that you can't see a need for until you have it in front of you. But it's probably also one of those things that you'll never want to give up once you've gotten used to having it...

I'll jump in but not just yet. Will have to wait and see how things go.

I don't beive there is any, yet.

Maybe with the next release, when it comes?

Don

Leopard is installed and running on my MacBook, which is what I'm on right now. So far, so good. I'm just beginning to scratch the surface of this bad boy!

There are many reports on the Adobe PSLR UtoU Forum of the Print Module not working for LR in Leopard!

Don

I'll test everything like that tomorrow. This is why I put it on my laptop first... desktop will be done when I feel like everything is ready.

Adobe has posted this info on LR and Leopard: Leopard Support.

NOTE on LR V1.2, appearing on Page 2:
Photoshop Lightroom 1.2 is not fully certified
for Mac OS X Leopard, but future updates will
address areas of Leopard compatibility
Don

Interesting. It seems that the majority of Epson printers are already supported, which is nice. I'll do some experiments today and see what happens.

Ah ha! My HP 26''n, Epson R26', and Brother MFC-586'CN were all supported within the OS installation, so no additional drivers were needed! Yes! :cheesy:

Leopard upgrade

I have a 2 month old iMac that has already had it's motherboard depart to the hereafter. I am afraid to use Leopard with LR until Adobe gives the all clear.:roll:

I don't blame you, although (knocks on wood) I haven't had any real issues as of yet. A few why did Apple do that? moments, but nothing terrible.

actually Spaces has been very useful. You can assign applications to open in one or more Spaces, which means you can run Lightroom is a nice clean Space all on its own.

I have also found it useful for running a full screen Parallels install of Ubuntu (for development work) is a separate space - more screen real estate is a useful advantage of that.

Most of Leopard is great - faster, swishier and the advantage of Time Machine's 'cool' interface is that because it is like a game, people are more likely to back up!! Which can only be a good thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back