• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Organizing folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinm

I'm looking for help with 2 issues:

1. I've imported a series of folders with the following names: Macros '4, Macros '5, Macros '6, Macros '7. What I now want to do is, from within LR, place all of these into a folder called Macros. I can't figure out how to do this. When I click on the + icon, I always get a new folder as a subfolder of another one, which is not what I want - and if I do this, I'm not able to change the hierarchy.

2. Similarly to the above, I imported a series of folders that were on my desktop and I imported them while referencing them in their current location. From LR, how do I move these so that they are at the same hierarchy level as all of my other folders i.e. in the Pictures folder?

Thanks in advance as always.

Thanks Victoria; this looks very promising! But a couple of supplemental questions first. First, I will need to go right up to Desktop level, as that's where some of the folders are. After I do this and have moved the folders from within LR, can I change the view such that all I see is what's in my Pictures folder i.e. how do I modify the view after it has served it's purpose?

kevinm;321' said:
Thanks Victoria; this looks very promising! But a couple of supplemental questions first. First, I will need to go right up to Desktop level, as that's where some of the folders are. After I do this and have moved the folders from within LR, can I change the view such that all I see is what's in my Pictures folder i.e. how do I modify the view after it has served it's purpose?
Just move them into the Pictures folder in LR.

Or if you want to get rid of higher level folders, just select them and hit delete - it should come up with a box asking whether you want to promote the subfolders - which you do!

Do a backup just before you do this though, save anything going dreadfully wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back