Replytoken

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I am in the midst of cleaning up a large number of images that have not been imported, and have a question about LR's renaming template logic. I normally shoot one camera per session, and often use ImageIngester Pro for renaming, but in this particular case, I shot with three cameras and want to use LR's template. My renaming preference includes a number that is assigned to each file (in sequence) and the files are normally renamed with that number in shot sequence (time order). When files from multiple cameras (and multiple brands with different naming conventions) are involved, does Lightroom still follow a time order, or does it segregate the images by camera (due to the different naming convention) first. ImageIngester used to sort by camera first, and this was not my preference. As always, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

--Ken

Ken there are a couple of ways to approach this.

The easiest, IMHO, is to import the images from each camera in turn.
Ignore renaming for now.
Once all the images are in Lightroom create a filter or Smart collection to get all the images from the shoot in question.
Get Lightroom to order the images by capture time.
Select all images
Now apply your renaming preset.

Tony Jay

Ken there are a couple of ways to approach this.

The easiest, IMHO, is to import the images from each camera in turn.
Ignore renaming for now.
Once all the images are in Lightroom create a filter or Smart collection to get all the images from the shoot in question.
Get Lightroom to order the images by capture time.
Select all images
Now apply your renaming preset.

Tony Jay

Hi Tony Jay,

That is pretty much what I have done, except for applying the template. I just was not certain what the logic was when having to rename images that do not include the time in their new names. I would assume that LR would still honor that logic, but I also thought that IIP would as well, and it does not. Now I am wondering if it follows that logic, or does it defer to the sort order that a user selects in the Library?

--Ken

Ken, the template will rename images in the order that you specify.
At the bottom of the library module main screen right in the middle is 'sort'.
I always have mine set to capture time but if you L-click on the two little arrow heads you will see a lot of other options.
If you sort the images differently then the renaming template will respect whatever order you have chosen.

Tony Jay

Ken, the template will rename images in the order that you specify.
At the bottom of the library module main screen right in the middle is 'sort'.
I always have mine set to capture time but if you L-click on the two little arrow heads you will see a lot of other options.
If you sort the images differently then the renaming template will respect whatever order you have chosen.

Tony Jay

I am familiar with the sort order, but I was not aware that the naming template honored it. Very handy.

Thanks,

--Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back