• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

"OR" conditions in LR Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

camner

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I suspect what I want cannot be done, but perhaps the smart folks here can tell me otherwise...

I know that one can do an "OR" condition within a filter category (e.g. SELECT pix with KEYWORD="Lake" OR KEYWORD="Pond") by selecting both the keyword "Lake" and the keyword "Pond" within a Filter "square").

What I want to do is this: SELECT pix with [CAMERA = G15 AND FILETYPE = RAW] OR [CAMERA = ELPH] (desired values are prototypes, not exact items).

And yes, I do know what mathematical (as opposed to English) "OR" and "AND" mean ;)

I think the plugin AnyFilter will do the job if LR can't do it natively....

Something like this?
ORselectAND.jpg
Press and hold the option key and notice the "+" becomes a "#" then click that "#" for this option.

Thanks, Selwin.

One of the things I both love and love to hate about LR is that it can do so much, but that it isn't always obvious how to get LR to do what one wishes. The other down side to it's extensive capacity is that it's hard to know what choices to make because there are so many choices that CAN be made. Of course this isn't really a downside but an upside.

Hi camner, part of that is what we are here for. This forum supports Lightroom communities because we believe in its usefulness.

If you wish, you can explore the Tips & Tricks and starter kit section. There really is much to learn about workflow options. Furthermore, the free Quick Start Guide by Victoria is really recommended.

And there's always this forum to help you with specific questions.

[Edit:] the good thing about Lightroom is that you can use only 10% of its abilities to 100% user satisfaction. In fact, I believe at least 90% of non-pro LR users do just that. Import, Pick, label and keyword and a little PP editing. Many of those users wind up here when they are presented with an issue they can't resolve, and they learn along the way.

Last edited:
Press and hold the option key and notice the "+" becomes a "#" then click that "#" for this option.

This kind of thing is what frustrates me about LR. While there are some things that knowing the "secret code" is really the only reasonable way to go, this isn't one of them! There's no reason to create an interface for building a query that requires one to know that one needs to hold down the option key to get the ability to create a compound query (or maybe "nested query" is a better term). That ought to be a separate button with a # symbol in it, darn it.

This technique (a smart collection) isn't quite as helpful as I thought it might be. I had never built a smart collection before, so I didn't realize (though it makes perfect sense) that a smart collection applies to the entire library, not to a particular folder. So, the smart collection Selwin suggests doesn't easily just let me look at the filtered images in a single shoot folder. Of course, I could add a folder condition to the smart collection, but I'd have to change that each time I moved to work on another folder.

What I was trying to accomplish is this...when my wife and I travel, I shoot with a G15 and my wife has a smaller point and shoot. For the time being (I'll eventually change this, I think) I shoot RAW + JPG, so in a shoot folder I have a bunch of RAW and JPG pairs from the G15 plus some JPGs from my wife's camera. When I go to do the initial culling and then keywording, I wanted to suppress the G15 JPG images so I can just go through the G15 RAW along with my wife's camera's JPG images (then I can copy the keywords from the RAWs to the corresponding JPGs if I really want to).

Perhaps there isn't really a way to do this easily...

This kind of thing is what frustrates me about LR. While there are some things that knowing the "secret code" is really the only reasonable way to go, this isn't one of them! There's no reason to create an interface for building a query that requires one to know that one needs to hold down the option key to get the ability to create a compound query (or maybe "nested query" is a better term). That ought to be a separate button with a # symbol in it, darn it.

I don't want to be silly about this but it isn't a secret.
It is known about.
I would agree if you said that it wasn't intuitive - because it isn't.

Tony Jay

Hi camner,

For a culling task that takes let's say an hour, quickly adjusting a smart collection folder name isn't really such a big deal. I agree with you that it is a workaround and that you cannot do it directly.

There is another way that you may like. If you create a 'dumb' collection called "Current Culling Job" and refer to that dumb collection from the Smart Collection you have, you can just drag all images from that particular shoot (or day, or week) to the dumb collection. And then click the Smart Collection to have your subset of images. Then after you're done clear the dumb collection for the next run.

I suppose this is all I can do for you.

I agree completely. Ever since I started to help people on this forum, I learned a great many deal of tricks that I would not easily have come to learn about by myself. This is one of them. The LR engineering team could have created a separate # button or at least a hint in the dialog telling users about this feature. And I'm sure they considered, but found it better not to, to keep things simple for the average use of the rules dialog.
Oh well….

Look up my workflow smart collections which showed how to set up a workflow based on a named dumb collection.

i agree about the Alt/opt . It's ludicrous that Adobe don't make this more obvious.

John

Last edited:
Create a library filter (like below) and give it a name (2 lines selected -> OR, second column -> ABD).

Select a folder and select in filter drop down your filter.

Filter.jpg

Greetings from Vienna
Franz

Hallo Franz!

Thank you for your suggestion. However, the OP wants to have all images from his ELPH camera (so not only RAW files, which I suspect the ELPH cannot even produce) and your query only returns RAW files from both, so it won't work exactly as requested. With this filter, only RAW files from the G15 will be returned and no images at all from the ELPH.

For simpler queries, the built-in filter is really useful though!

I don't want to be silly about this but it isn't a secret.
It is known about.
I would agree if you said that it wasn't intuitive - because it isn't.

Tony Jay

Fair enough, and I don't want to be silly either, but if I don't know something isn't it a "secret" to me, even if it is well known by others? :)

For a culling task that takes let's say an hour, quickly adjusting a smart collection folder name isn't really such a big deal. I agree with you that it is a workaround and that you cannot do it directly.

There is another way that you may like. If you create a 'dumb' collection called "Current Culling Job" and refer to that dumb collection from the Smart Collection you have, you can just drag all images from that particular shoot (or day, or week) to the dumb collection. And then click the Smart Collection to have your subset of images. Then after you're done clear the dumb collection for the next run.

I suppose this is all I can do for you.

The "dumb collection" idea you suggest is interesting. And "all" you've done for me is a great deal! In addition to learning a few things about LR I didn't know before, you've given me a couple of ideas that will inform my workflow, which is a pretty big thing! Thank you.

Look up my workflow smart collections which showed how to set up a workflow based on a named dumb collection.

i agree about the Alt/opt . It's ludicrous that Adobe don't make this more obvious.

I've looked at your Workflow Smart Collections and like it a lot. I'm still thinking about how to adapt it to my workflow. The basic idea is fantastic...I think I may want to modify a bit to suit my personal idiosyncrasies.

Last edited:
I've looked at your Workflow Smart Collections and like it a lot. I'm still thinking about how to adapt it to my workflow. The basic idea is fantastic...I think I may want to modify a bit to suit my personal idiosyncrasies.

That's certainly the idea!

John

Hallo Franz!

Thank you for your suggestion. However, the OP wants to have all images from his ELPH camera (so not only RAW files, which I suspect the ELPH cannot even produce) and your query only returns RAW files from both, so it won't work exactly as requested. With this filter, only RAW files from the G15 will be returned and no images at all from the ELPH.

For simpler queries, the built-in filter is really useful though!

I should read more carefully
Thanks
Franz

This technique (a smart collection) isn't quite as helpful as I thought it might be. I had never built a smart collection before, so I didn't realize (though it makes perfect sense) that a smart collection applies to the entire library, not to a particular folder. So, the smart collection Selwin suggests doesn't easily just let me look at the filtered images in a single shoot folder. Of course, I could add a folder condition to the smart collection, but I'd have to change that each time I moved to work on another folder.

What I was trying to accomplish is this...when my wife and I travel, I shoot with a G15 and my wife has a smaller point and shoot. For the time being (I'll eventually change this, I think) I shoot RAW + JPG, so in a shoot folder I have a bunch of RAW and JPG pairs from the G15 plus some JPGs from my wife's camera. When I go to do the initial culling and then keywording, I wanted to suppress the G15 JPG images so I can just go through the G15 RAW along with my wife's camera's JPG images (then I can copy the keywords from the RAWs to the corresponding JPGs if I really want to).

Perhaps there isn't really a way to do this easily...
This is exactly why i needed "or"

Source contains folder xxx or source contains folder yyy
and
this and that

thanks

@sambomartin Glad I could help, this was quite a while ago! So neat you registered for this. Welcome to the forums! Now that you're here, I hope you'll stay :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back