• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Options : Upgrade Lightroom 6 to Classic and Mac OS Upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

grahamnick

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 6 To Lightroom Classic
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hi folks,

I need some advice. I have been putting off this upgrade as I am nervous about loosing photos, etc and needed my scanner until now. I know Monterrey is out but seems to glitchy at the moment.

I am currently on the last version of Lightroom 6. I am running a 2016 Mac on the latest version of Mojave. I am going to finally get a subscription and move to Lightroom Classic. I also plan on moving to MqcOS Big Sur as it is supported.

After I run Time Machine back-up on a couple drives, Should I:

1. Write down the catalog location for Lightroom 6. Upgrade to Big Sur. Then buy a photography subscription, install Lightroom Classic and then hopefully get Lightroom Classic running?

Or

2. Write down the catalog location, try and update to the previous version of Lightroom Classic that runs on Mojave, as I think the last release won’t work on Mojave? (Is this possible?), get Lightroom Classic running, then upgrade to Big Sur, then fully upgrade Lightroom Classic.

I am aware I need some back ups in the scenarios above also.

Thanks for any advice,

Nick

Why would you even consider option 2? If you upgrade twice, then you obviously also double the chance that the opgrade doesn’t go as smoothly as you hope it will.

Or 3: one thing at a time, test and when OK, new backups, and then the next step, etc.
I would do this:
In your existing system (Mojave) install LRC 10, NOT LRC 11 !
Test everything . Use it. When OK, make backups again

Then, after a few weeks perhaps, if you absolutely wish for another OS, upgrade to BigSur, use until you are used to BigSur (personally I believe that it is not fundamentally different. (I would not be interested to do that).
Wait until there are absolutely no "problems" anymore with LRC11, you could upgrade, upgrade nothing else, and get it working again correctly.
Never update or upgrade when there are "problems" or difficulties (solve those first).

Thanks folks,

I am am considering option 2- as The last macOS that will run Lightroom 6 is Mojave. So if I upgrade to LRC10 first then I can go back if I have issues. I like option 3 and take it slow. I do need to get off Mojave as it is no longer supported, ie security updates, but definitely could wait a couple months to move to Big Sur.

So it sounds like I can upgrade from Lightroom 6 to LRC10 and don’t have to go all the way LRC11? I will have that option to download. Is that correct?

So it sounds like I can upgrade from Lightroom 6 to LRC10 and don’t have to go all the way LRC11? I will have that option to download. Is that correct?
Yes, the oldest version of Lightroom Classic that you can still download is 10.0 right now.

While Backups are important. They do not enter into your Upgrade Plans,

Here is the scenario that I would perform if I were in your situation:
  1. Upgrade to LrC v10 (V10 because of Mojave). This will read your LR6 catalog file and create a V10 catalog file from your master catalog)
  2. Upgrade to MacOS 12.0.1 (Monterrey). It is stable and I have had no difficulties since it was released ( I do have an M1 iMac but I have not seen any issues with Intel Macs).
  3. Update LrC to v11.0.1. This will read your LrC v10 catalog file and create a V11 catalog file from your master catalog)
All of your image files stay where they are today. The Lr6 Catalog maintains a correct pointer to the image files. Upgrades from that catalog will copy this paths to v10 and then v10 catalogs.

I usually upgrade to the latest MacOS as soon as Apple releases the x.0 version. I never have issues that stop the workflow. The same has been true for me with Adobe products.

Thanks everyone for your help. I have successfully upgraded to LRC10. I will follow the suggested paths, just going to take it slow. Get used to LRC10 and get back using it. I will wait a bit for stabilization on the OS and 11 before moving on.

So glad I joined this group. Should have done it years ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back