John Cicchine

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hello.

I am running Lightroom 5.7 and planning to upgrade to Lightroom Classic CC early next year. I believe under File in the Menu Bar if I drop down a bit I can choose "Optimaize Catalog". I also have that option picked when Lightroom backs up my Catalog once a week. But I still choose "Optimize Catalog" independently at times during the week. I have my Photos on 2 seperate external hard drives and my Catalog on it's own external hard drive. My 2 questions are...

-Can I just have the hard drive with my catalog connected to my computer when I just want to Optimize my Catalog or do I also need to connect all of the hard drives with my photos too?
For now it's not a problem since I have only 2 hard drives with photos but in the future when I have more hard drives with photos it can be a bit cumbersome.

-Also I prefer to only connect the hard drive with the photos I am working on at any given time instead of all of the hard drives that contain my photos. Is that ok to also do?

Thank You all for your help.

John

- AFAIK, you can optimize the catalog without the drives with the images being connected.
- It's fine to work in a catalog with one or more image drives not being connected. You just can't edit the images (if you create smart previews then you could).

- AFAIK, you can optimize the catalog without the drives with the images being connected.
- It's fine to work in a catalog with one or more image drives not being connected. You just can't edit the images (if you create smart previews then you could).

Thank You Very Much Johan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back