• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Optimizing Lightroom for Best Performance: Top Ten Lightroom Speed Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scott Rouse

I recently wrote an article with about my Top Ten Lightroom Speed Tips. Here are the tips (in no particular order).

[list type=decimal]
[li]Optimize your Catalog[/li]
[li]Get a Better Computer[/li]
[li]Don’t Automatically Write Changes into XMP[/li]
[li]Close Other Programs[/li]
[li]Restart Occasionally[/li]
[li]Build Previews Before You Need Them[/li]
[li]Tweak Your Machine[/li]
[li]Enlarge the Camera Raw Cache[/li]
[li]Watch your Catalog Size[/li]
[li]Embed Metadata When Importing[/li]
[/list]

Read about all the details here: http://thelightroomlab.com/2''9/'7/optimizing-lightroom-for-best-performance-top-ten-lightroom-speed-tips

You state no reason for unchecking Automatically Write to XMP. I understand that the first time you turn it on, Lightroom will spend a large amount of time writing all of your metadata to XMP, and this does slow down your computer. After this task completes, the time involved in writing future changes to XMP is so minimal that I can't even detect it.

So I have to disagree with you on this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back