• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Optimal Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRFolino

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Look to configure Lightroom 5.7.1 for optimal speed. Here the current system layout

System: Intel i7 processor, 32mb memory, Windows 7, dual 1200x1900 24" LaCie monitors

Internal Drive C: ESATA 6gbs, 500gb Solid State Drive, with OS, programs, Lightroom catalog and Cache (sized at 100mb) there is 200gb still free

Internal Drive E: ESATA 6gbs, 3Tb Western Digital Black Label Drive, where the images being worked on are stored

Drive W: Networked NAS 24tb (4x6 WD Red Label), raid 10 over a 10/100/1000 network, where the old images are stored

Current catalog contains 70,000+ images and is 2,294mb

In order to get the best possible speed, based on the system above...

Where should Lightroom be installed?
What should the cache size be and where should it be?
Where should the catalog reside? With 70k+ images, should the catalog be split?
What size should be used for "Standard Previews" and how long should I save 1:1 previews.

I think the present arrangement is good. Performance -wise, the two internal drives are the same. Storing the catalog and the Previews on one and the actively processed images on another can only help. Using LR to move the completed images to a NAS is good too. Once completed you will only need the originals for thing like exporting and printing. Any lag induces over the gigabit ethernet should be tolerable
A single catalog of 70K images is considered only moderate in size. You can only search over all 70K images if they are in one catalog. So, keep it together.

Thanks.

Assuming that there's a ton of disk space available, what is the optimal size of the cache?

My monitors are LaCie 324i 1200 x 1900. Again, assuming that disk space is not an issue, what is the optimal size for the standard preview? Is there a size vs. speed trade off?

I think the present arrangement is good. Performance -wise, the two internal drives are the same. Storing the catalog and the Previews on one and the actively processed images on another can only help. Using LR to move the completed images to a NAS is good too. Once completed you will only need the originals for thing like exporting and printing. Any lag induces over the gigabit ethernet should be tolerable
A single catalog of 70K images is considered only moderate in size. You can only search over all 70K images if they are in one catalog. So, keep it together.

Size is not going to affect speed significantly except during import. I have 36mp D8xx images and these take a lot of time to generate previews On Import, I generate "Minimal" previews and get to see my images faster. When you go into develop, LR will create a 1:1 preview and any other preview sizes that it needs. there might be som speed advantage if the initial preview is already present, but I see this as a trade off. For if I create 1:1 previews on import, I lose time at import and have unnecessary previews for images that will get deleted before they get to develop.

If you have a fast CPU with lots of cores, you've already crossed the performance threshold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back