Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_N

Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
6 stand alone
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have been using LR6 stand alone for several years now. I have no intention of purchasing LR CC. In the future, I will probably purchase a new Canon camera. Apart from converting Canon CR2 to DNG, is there a hack to open the new Raw files with LR6? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Kind regards
Chris

That is all you need for LR6. You will have to get the latest free DNG Converter from Adobe to recognize the propriety RAW format for your new camera

Thanks for your reply. That may be the only way to go. The disadvantage though is that I will end up doubling my raw files (both CR2 and DNG). I would not wish to delete the CR2. If there was a hack to get LR6 to read the new CR2 that would be better.

Kind regards
Chris

People have been known to change the raw file's internal code that names the camera to fool LR into importing the file. That only worked with files that had a sensor that Lightroom already supported. The odds of new cameras using sensors that Lightroom supported two or three years ago are essentially zero. If you want to continue with Lightroom, you're stuck with either using the DNG converter or purchasing a subscription.

I would not wish to delete the CR2.
Chris
You might convert CR2 raws to DNG raws. Import the DNGs for Lightroom purposes and archive the CR2 files for backup purposes.
For a 'disaster' you would only need to convert the CR2 files again to restore a Lr Catalog.
You are backing up your files I hope, which is not really 'doubling'.

Thank you all for your replies. I suspected that its not possible to import the latest Canon CR2 files into LR6. I spent several years learning how to use LR. I am very disappointed that Adobe is no longer supporting a stand alone version. That's life!

Kind regards
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back