• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 21 February 2024 It's Lightroom update time again! See What’s New in Lightroom Classic 13.2, Mobile & Desktop (February 2024)? for all the update news. It's mainly new cameras, new lenses and loads of bug fixes in this release.

Oops, I inadvertently deleted a whole year's images from LRc and still have it on My MacBook 'pictures' folder quite intact

FrankU

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
v 13.01
Operating System
  1. macOS 14 Sonoma
  2. iOS
I just deleted one camera's last year's input from the LRc catalogue (by clicking the 'remove' button on a yearly full set of folders; ( I thought one could only remove empty folders that way ...) . All the dng files etc still sit on my MacBook in the 'Pictures' folder there. How can I return them to the LR catalogue now? Or do I have to import every day's file one by one from what the screen shows 1 by 1?
The individual months all have sizes in the 5 to 10 megabytes of dng files. So I'm hopeful that everything from that year is still alive there. How to transport this back into LRc? Maybe I should revert to an older version of the LR catalogue, but then I would have to redo all the recent editing etc work that I did on the whole set of images, in the 50thousands , in LR..

I am so dumb sometimes and I hope there is an easier solution, maybe moving folders month by month ... and not day by day, or picture by picture.

Thanks,

Frank

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 3.57.30 PM.png

Do you have recent backups of your catalogue? If so, you can restore the latest one and save yourself much effort and grief.

Last edited:
Do you have recent backups of your catalogue? If so, you can restore the latest one and save yourself much effort and grief.
So this is my situation: I tried to import one set of images shot with the A6600 camera from the card that I had worked on; and LRc does not allow me to start a folder with name S_A6600 in the Apple_SSD, and not any new folder!, and so I cannot move anything in the MacBook's pictures folder to LR again.

And somehow LRc seems to have such a folder with the A6600 name in its catalogue but I can see it at all. I would eb content to name that new folder as AAAA and later rename it to reflect its A6600 origin ...
How can I make , insert a somehow named folder to import to. It must appear on the left import panel margin (see the screen shot) when I want to import.

The scene shot never uploaded ... sorry.

First make sure the LrC has "Full Disk Access" (nothing else will do - apparently)

How do I make sure LRc has full disk access? On MacBook Sonoma ...
System Settings>Privacy & Security tab>Select "Full Disk Access">Add and Enable Lightroom Classic (and any other apps in your Photography Plan) to the list.

"Do you have recent backups of your catalogue? If so, you can restore the latest one and save yourself much effort and grief."

This was an important question and I don't see a clear answer to it. Also please answer directly:

1. Does Time Machine backup the catalogue?
  2. In Catalog Settings, Metadata, is Automatically Write Changes to XMP checked or unchecked

While we're asking questions of you, please don't change anything more with LR.

I tried to import one set of images shot with the A6600 camera from the card that I had worked on; and LRc does not allow me to start a folder with name S_A6600 in the Apple_SSD, and not any new folder
Please do not import anything until we can get you a replacement catalog from backup. There are timeMachine backups and on exit, LrC makes a backup copy of the catalog before exiting. It is this backup copy made when you exit that is most important.

Back