• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Develop module Only some .dng files are treated as RAW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dormant

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 7.3.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
I've been scratching my head for a rather large handful of hours now trying to get the newer Adobe Raw profiles to work for me.
Every raw photo I take with my phone and import into Lightroom Classic CC gets none of the raw-specific features, no special profiles or nothing. Defaults to ''color'' or ''monochome''.
They're seemingly treated as just regular little jpegs! Then about an hour ago I got the idea to download some free .dng photos online, and woah!
They get all of the Adobe Raw profiles, defaulting to Adobe Color! Which leads me to wonder..

Is the new and improved algorithms and Adobe Raw profiles only for specific supported camera models? Or is my phone creating faulty .dng files?
I had the impression a .dng was a .dng, and that the new standard Raw profiles were useable to all. :coffee:

I've attached two images demonstrating the missing adobe profiles for extra clarity. Who doesn't love clarity?

Any help would be much appreciated so I can stop scratching my head, thank you!

Attachments

• Lightroom_2018-06-17_21-52-09.png
    Lightroom_2018-06-17_21-52-09.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 374
  • Lightroom_2018-06-17_21-53-05.png
    Lightroom_2018-06-17_21-53-05.png
    77.7 KB · Views: 357
The white balance sliders show that your phone files are treated as raw allright. A jpeg or other type of RGB file would not show a temperature value. What phone is it? It could simply be that Adobe didn’t make any additional profiles for it.

Oh, you're right! I didn't even pay attention to the sliders.
It's a Huawei Honor 8, it's not in the list of Camera Raw supported phones - but I thought that just meant it wouldn't have Camera Matching features.
Would this mean the raw profiles aren't available to me?

Yes I think so....if it's not on the list of supported cameras then there won't be an Adobe Standard profile, which thus means there won't be any of the new Adobe Profiles either.

Ah, what a shame, I'll have to keep that list in mind when I finally dig into my pockets and buy a proper camera then!
I don't recall seeing any mention in the promotional articles and videos that the profiles only applied to cameras on that list..
I wonder if this means the processing quality / algorithms won't be as good without the profiles, huh.
Anyhow, it was a good point about the sliders - it does seem like they're treated as Raw after all, so I'll just have to dodge any hype about the nice new profiles until I have a supported camera :)
Thank you for the swift responses, Gurus!

You won't get the Adobe Raw, Camera Matching, or Legacy profiles, but you SHOULD get all of the Artistic, B&W, Modern, and Vintage profiles, plus the ability to use any profiles that you have created yourself, or purchased from elsewhere.

Be sure to click on the Profile browser (the four-rectangle icon) to see what's available.

DNG is a file specification based upon the TIFF/EP6 standard. As a container, the image data block can either be. RAW or RGB. RAW profiles are only available to RAW data. RGB data in a DNG file can either be lossless (like TIFF) or lossy (Like JPEG)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back