Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
6.14 Perpetual
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Between August and November 2017 I had many people on this forum trying to help me with a Lightroom Catalog problem – ( “Catalog is corrupt”; “Unfortunately it cannot be repaired”; catalog cannot be used or backed up until it is repaired”; etc, etc ). Discussions covered the pros and cons of external hard drives, because that was how I operated between my Desktop and Laptop, both on up-to-date Windows 10.

As a result, I had to walk away from Lightroom and the Creative Cloud. However, I purchased the final Perpetual version, 6.14.

I moved to ON1 Photo Raw, and didn’t look back at Lightroom. However, this summer, on random users (Mac & Windows), and on random folders on all these machines, On1 started to strip/delete the edit data from its sidecar files. On some occasions you could switch to a folder of previously edited photos and, in grid view. You could watch as one by one, the photos reverted to their out-of-camera state (RAW or Jpeg).

So I reverted to Lightroom 6.14 this week. I was pleasantly surprised by how slick and smooth everything seemed to work. It was great. I culled and edited several folders from 2014, problem free. I switched to my ‘main’ catalog, and although I feared it might say “Hang on, this was created in Lightroom 7.x”, there was no such message. I ran it several times this week, and backed up on every exit – even deleted a couple of backups as ‘surplus to requirements’. Last night, before exiting, I decided to optimise the catalog – it told me I hadn’t done that since 2017! Lightroom however ‘choked’ doing that optimise, and though I didn’t write down the warning dialog box. I tried Repairs when they were offered, but all to no avail. I unzipped my backup (which was only done about 2 hours previously), but that and others would only lead me to the ‘corrupt catalog’ and ‘cannot be repaired’ messages. Once it failed whilst “updating catalog file format”.

I trawled Victoria’s site, and that is where I came across a number of threads which I was very surprised to find were a result of my posts in 2017.

Sorry this is dragging on, but, does anyone know of an answer after 3 years of upgrades have passed: (by the way Catalog, and Backups are all now on an internal drive)
a) should this version 7.x catalog even load into 6.14 – obviously it did, for a week nearly – but if I renew my subscription, will version 9 also fail.
b) one poster in 2017, suggested certain contacts at Adobe may be able to repair the catalog – is that still an option.

Thank you if you got this far!

Ian

Without going into an item by item, let me summarize my thoughts.
Each whole version number (LR5, LR6, Lr7 (LRCC), LR8, etc represents a different database structure for the catalog file. The LR5 app will not understand and accept the structure for a LR6 catalog file. Usually this throws an error. If you never purchased a subscription, then the highest version that you have that has created a catalog is LR6.14. So you will need to explain how you are able to have a catalog file that has a different structure.
Victoria has a contact with an Adobe database engineer that sometimes can repair corrupt catalogs. This is always the least desirable last resort solution and reverting to a valid catalog file backup is always preferred.
If you get a subscription plan the current version of Lightroom. Now called Lightroom Classic is v9.4. Once installed, it will read any valid catalog file from any previous version and convert it to the current database structure writing everything out in a new catalog file. The operative word here is “valid”. IOW, LR9 Lightroom Classic still can not read a corrupt catalog file from any prior version of Lightroom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Cletus, you've hit the nail on the head, on your first strike. As Lr Classic v9.4 can read all the previous catalog formats, that must be the way forward for me.
But I also accept that a 'corrupt' catalog from 3 years ago is still a corrupt catalog now.
Are there any ways to ameliorate this? For example, instead of loading up the full complement of images, could I 'hide' some and export the others to new catalogs, maybe a year's worth at a time? I think that I am assuming that a corrupted image file is the cause of the problem , whereas it could just be the database file structure (which I couldn't fix)? I am up for trying anything pedantic if it leads to a solution. It is annoying that it let me work with the catalog several times before throwing up the errors.
Thank you very much again.

Catalog corruption has nothing to do with the images. A catalog file is a database. A database consists of several interrelated tables of records. If the relationship between table records gets broken or the process to manage this gets interrupted before completion, the data inside the catalog file gets corrupt. Indexes are pointers to tables that speed up the process if these get corrupt, then the index table is not correct for the master table and this is a form of corruption.
This is why there is a validation and compaction process that happens when LR exits and builds a new. backup file. Apart from the getting some database wizard to manual fix the errors in the database tables, a recent backup catalog is the best insurance against data corruption.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks again, Cletus. Hard facts are indisputable, but it doesn't make them any easier to bear! The false sense of security that you get from backing-up when you exit Lightroom is the real killer.
Cheers
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back