• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Online storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

texasmacs

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic CC
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I currently have all of my photos on my computer or an external hard drive, all of which are backed up with Backblaze. I am not worried about losing any photos. I feel I am backed up appropriately. However, what I would like to do is access any and all of my over 20,000 photos via my phone or iPad. I know I can create "collections" and save them to my Lightroom account, but that is a pain having to create yet another folder and going in and selecting all of the photos I want in that collection. I am wondering if there is a forum (such as Amazon photos... or something else - that I would pay a fee for) that would allow me to upload my photos (all in their current folders) and see any and all of my photos via an app. I hope I am making sense here. When I am away from home and my computer, I simply want to be able to show someone a photo from say... 1995, and be able to access it quickly. Thanks for your help!

You don't have to create collections specifically for syncing to the Adobe cloud. If the Classic catalog has syncing enabled, there's special collection called "All Synced Photographs" which will appear in the Catalog Panel below All Photographs. You can simply add your photos to that special collection and that will cause Lightroom to upload Smart Previews of them to the cloud (which do not count against your cloud storage allowance). From there they will be available to view in the LRCC app on your phone or iPad.....if you haven't created any collections in Classic (called albums in LRCC) they will still be viewable by selecting All Photos in the phone/iPad. That All Photos can be viewed in various ways, one of which is segmentation by date (and that date can be selected to be by years, months, days or even hours).

Well, that is pretty awesome... if I can figure out how to make it work. How do I tell the Classic catalog to sync (I thought that was already done, but it must not be). I am attaching two pictures. The first one is of my CC catalog where you can see that 1,697 of my 50,000 plus pictures have been synced. These, I believe, are the photos that I have put into collections. It isn't syncing everything from my catalog, only collections. The other is of my adobe.lightroom account where you can see that it does have the collections synced but not any of the other photos from my catalog. Am I understanding this right? How would I get it to sync my entire catalog? Could you come to my house and fix me?!! Just kidding... I do appreciate your help!

Attachments

• Lightroom CC.png
    Lightroom CC.png
    121.6 KB · Views: 184
  • adobe.lightroom.png
    adobe.lightroom.png
    92.8 KB · Views: 202
If the Classic catalog has syncing enabled, there's special collection called "All Synced Photographs" which will appear in the Catalog Panel below All Photographs. You can simply add your photos to that special collection and that will cause Lightroom to upload Smart Previews of them to the cloud (which do not count against your cloud storage allowance).

As Jim says any photos you want to see on your phone or iPad need to be added to "All Synced Photographs". You currently have 1697 in that collection. You add to this collection the same way you add to any other collection.

-louie

Texasmacs: You can publish all of your Lightroom Classic images to Lightroom Mobile without having to manually move them into collections. This solution involves using Smart Collections which, normally, cannot be synced to Lightroom Mobile.
  1. First, download the plugin Jeffrey’s Smart-Collection Sync Lightroom Plugin and install it.
  2. Then create a smart collection in Lightroom Classic that will catch all of your images; one way to do this is to set the Smart Collection criteria so that rating is equal to or greater than zero stars. Once you've done this successfully, you'll notice that the number of images in the Smart Collection is the same as the number under All Photographs. In other words, the smart collection now contains every image in your catalog. You can make more detailed criteria if you'd like to exclude some images from being synced.
  3. Now follow the instructions in the plugin to allow it to create and sync a regular (not smart) collection and enable this collection to be synced.
Once the initial sync completes -- which will take a while if you have a lot of images --all of your images will be available online via the Lightroom CC app on your phone or tablet or on the web from your computer.

Besides being able to share your images from your mobile device, it's the only way to use Adobe's Sensei artificial intelligence searches on your Lightroom Classic images. The Sensei search is only available online. And you won't have to pay anything extra except a small donation to Jeffrey Friedl for his plugin.

Why bother to do that? If you want to sync all the photos in the catalog, click on All Photos, Ctrl+A to select all, drag one of the selected images (drag from the image, not the surrounding frame) and drop onto All Synced Photographs. Done.

Jim: with your method, you have to remember to manually sync your new images. With my method, they are synced automatically.

Another advantage is that you don't have to sync all of your images into one "bucket." I have actually created separate smart collections by year. So, for example, all of my images captured in 2018 appear in an online album called "2018 Photos" and all of my 2017 photos appear in the album "2017 Photos" and so on.

Using the appropriate Smart Collection criteria, you could sync your Lightroom Classic photos into any online Lightroom CC album that makes sense to you.

Last edited:
Maybe an obvious question, but have you thought of just switching over to Lightroom CC completely? The desktop version is still lacking on the library management and output sides but is developing rapidly. It certainly makes sharing your images across multiple a very smooth experience.

Hi Alan, I should have thought of that! I can manage with 1TB at the moment as I just upload raw files and no videos. I would like to see Adobe revew their online storage prices though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back