• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

OneDrive "Free Up Space" Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

del.hand

Del
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I use OneDrive and LRC - all works nicely. However, my hard drive is getting full so I'm marking some folders to "Free up space".
The problem here is that LRC tries to look at them in the catalog(?) and so OneDrive downloads them again.
Any solutions or am I going beyond what LRC does?
Thanks.

Lightroom Classic needs photos to be stored locally. It checks for missing photos and that triggers the download.

Thanks Johan. Yeah that does seem to be what's happening.
Looks like it's that simple - either enough local space to mirror cloud storage or move to Lightroom cloud based.

LrC was never meant to work with cloud storage. I once tried it with OneDrive and that in-between cloud + local storage. It seemed to work fine with a small catalogue but when I applied it to my main catalogue, strange things were happening so I quickly back-peddled out of it. It probably could work if one had lightning fast download speeds. I now have LrC storing and editing locally only, with the provision of syncing with the Adobe cloud for imports if requited from Lr(cloudy) or the phone. I also idependently backup the catalogue and images to OneDrive + local HDDs, however LrC can't run while the catalogue is being accessed for backup.

I've found LRC and OneDrive work fine - if you keep everything local. If you do the free up space option in OneDrive it does work - kind of... It just pulls them all back onto your machine - so you end up not saving any space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back