• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

One particular photo simply will not sync from LR Classic to mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drolma-la

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 8.3
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
  2. iOS
I'm not doing anything fancy or complicated. (Yet.) I run LR Classic 8.3 on a Mac, and have for a very long time synced one collection of 129 images to LR on my iPad and iPhone. Whenever I quit LR Classic, there was a message that one image was still syncing. I just ignored it, as I was too busy to figure it out, and the stuff synced on the iOS devices was not critical. A couple of months ago, I began to see some new uses for LR on my iPad, and moved the images in LR Classic into four separate collections. Suddenly it became blindingly obvious which image was not syncing, as it belongs now to a collection of only 5 images. But why won't it sync? I've tried a lot of things, including utterly eradicating the online library. I deleted all the smart previews in my catalogue. This one image simply won't sync.

Any ideas why not?

I'm not doing anything fancy or complicated. (Yet.) I run LR Classic 8.3 on a Mac, and have for a very long time synced one collection of 129 images to LR on my iPad and iPhone. Whenever I quit LR Classic, there was a message that one image was still syncing. I just ignored it, as I was too busy to figure it out, and the stuff synced on the iOS devices was not critical. A couple of months ago, I began to see some new uses for LR on my iPad, and moved the images in LR Classic into four separate collections. Suddenly it became blindingly obvious which image was not syncing, as it belongs now to a collection of only 5 images. But why won't it sync? I've tried a lot of things, including utterly eradicating the online library. I deleted all the smart previews in my catalogue. This one image simply won't sync.

Any ideas why not?
Is there anything special about the image that won't sync? What file-type is it?

All 5 images in the collection are TIFs created in Photoshop from the same template frame image composited with a photographic image. So a TIF with 3 layers, just like the other 4 images.

How big's the file Drolma-la? There is a file size limit (200MB I think) on Lightroom Classic sync, so I'm wondering if that's what you're hitting.

401.3MB, pretty much the same as the other 4 in the collection which are syncing just fine. (I imagined that it was syncing Smart Previews.)

Last edited:
Are the others all smaller than 200MB? I haven't tested Classic upload sizes for a while so I can't be sure whether that's changed recently, but it certainly has been an issue in the past.

No, not at all. As I added, even in the collection holding the recalcitrant file, the other files are the same size. And I would say that they are small compared to others syncing from other collections. One of my synced files, for example, is 1.3GB. I don't think that any one of them is as small as 200MB.

Oh good, I was hoping they'd fix that issue. In that case I'd try removing it from All Synced Photos, let it complete sync and then try adding it to sync again.

I've now tried that a couple of times, in addition to other more drastic steps mentioned in my original message.

If you have not done any (or much) editing of the image in LR since you created it in PS, and have not added or changed much metadata in LR either, try removing the image from LR and then re-importing it. After the import but before re-doing any edits or metadata changes add it to a synced collection and see if problem persists. If it syncs OK, then redo any edits and metadata changes and see if it sill sync's OK. If so, I suspect we'll never know why it got hung up but at least it is working again. If it still chokes on the image then more research will need to be done.

For what it’s worth, I had the same problem with one photo. It was a normal import in a batch of 100 or so and was never edited after the import. After a month of sync issues, I deleted the photo and reimported the original. Everything was fine after that. I can only assume that some kind of image or catalog corruption had occurred. I’m betting on the former, since the catalog hasn’t presented any problems and checks out fine. I suppose it could also be a metadata issue, but since there had been no edits that seemed unlikely. The replacement photo has since been edited and continues to sync without problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also had this problem. Nearly drove me mad. Just completely remove the photo from LR starting with "all synced photos" (if its there). Then let LR complete any other syncing that is going on, turn off LR and even reboot your computer. Then try reimporting. If that still doesn't work then try moving the photo from its current location to a new location on the hard drive and reimporting from the new location. If all still fails try renaming the photo and import from a new location on the hard drive.

It seems that if something goes wrong during the original sync which then LR prevents further syncing of that photo.

Just to say many thanks to those who passed on what they've learned from their experience of this problem. What worked for me this time was:
- first deleting the image from 'All Synced Photos'
- then making notes on the metadata and particularly the Virtual Copy created when I'd printed the image
- then deleting the image from the Lightroom catalogue
- then quitting LR and getting it to clean up the catalogue by having it make a back-up
- then re-opening LR
- then importing the image back to the same place in the catalogue (without moving the file physically on the hard disk)
- finally moving the image back into to the synced Collection

The downside was that this procedure eradicated the Virtual Copy created when I printed the image, but I think I've recreated that. Maybe it was something about the Virtual Copy that made it hang in the first place, but all 4 of the other images in the Collection have VCs, too. So who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back