• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

On shutdown photos are still syncing

Status
Not open for further replies.

hafeatherston

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic CC subscription
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
When I shutdown Lightroom, a dialog box comes up telling me that 39 photos are still syncing with Lightroom (number of photos has increased over time). Do I want to shutdown anyway? But they never sync. Sync is on when I'm working but the 39 photos never sync. How do I find out what photos these are and why they are not syncing?

Thanks for the help.

Holly

@hafeatherston

Click the sync cloud icon then the cog icon, this will list the files. I am very interested to know what files they are, particularly what type. I am battling a similar problem.

Thanks for the reply and info on how to see what's not syncing. But now I'm really confused. In my efforts to understand the issue I had clicked the cog and it asked if I wanted to download all my synced photos, so I said sure and sent them to a separate folder. That was some 939 photos and when it finished the 39 photos were still showing as not synced. But now there are 962 photos in that separate folder. The math doesn't work, but so far the photos on the list in that dialog box are in that folder. Some of the photos in the folder showed a metadata conflict so I thought that might be the problem. I updated those and now I have 61 photos that won't sync. Help!

@hafeatherston
Hi, this is not behaviour I have seen. Can I please whether have you imported images directly to the Lightroom cloud from another device? It might explain why this happened, where had those 939 images come from?

Most, but not all the 939 images were from my phone and synced through Lightroom on my phone. I moved all the files that I synced to the folders that they belonged in. Then I fixed all the metadata conflicts. All the synced photos then were trying to sync. Now I have 651 photos trying to sync with little success.

There is an option to delete all synced data in the settings dialog box. What does that do? Will I lose my photos?

@hafeatherston

This is what I would do. I have had to do this many times. An important point to note here is that my approach is based on the idea that all my original images are stored locally, on my Mac or external disks, I currently do not rely on Lr Cloud to store any of my originals. Any files that I have synced with Lr Cloud are there for viewing on my mobile devices and occasionally editing.

Incidentally,
I do allow Lr on my iPhone and iPad to download images I have taken using the camera app within the Lr apps but once they have downloaded I tend to move them to a folder on the local disk just as I would had I taken them with my DSLR. I do not store\keep any images in the location as specified in preference.​
I do not allow the Lr apps to synchronise with my iPhone or iPad camera roll as I then found I had duplicates with a copy in my iPhone camera roll and in Lr. This messed with my head!​

The steps
Make sure all the originals of my images are in my LrC catalog. I would make sure I have good backups of my Catalog AND all the images referenced from the catalog.

Untick all Collections so they are no longer synchronised with Lr Cloud. Allow some time for the sync to process.
Select all the images in 'All Synced Photographs' and Remove them. This will have separated the images in your Catalog from the Lr Cloud.
Open Lr (desktop, web, mobile) and remove any images, it might be necessary to check all three of Desktop, Web and Mobile

At this point you will have all your images locally stored and securely backed up with no images stored or synced with the Lr Cloud.

Exit LrC, allow another Catalog backup to be created and make sure the LrC Catalog Optimises.

Open LrC. All Synced Photos should be showing zero.

Now start again. Now you can turn on any Collections in your LrC Catalog that you want to sync with the Lr Cloud, they should all sync properly.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to have a backup of you Catalog before starting - just in case.

I hope this helps.

When I shutdown Lightroom, a dialog box comes up telling me that 39 photos are still syncing with Lightroom (number of photos has increased over time). Do I want to shutdown anyway? But they never sync. Sync is on when I'm working but the 39 photos never sync.

I think this is that same trouble I was having / am having. I asked in a thread earler and had a solution. See if this helps.... Whats this Lightroom Library.lrlibrary folder?

I made sure all my photos were in the correct folders and deleted all the photos in synced photos, and that seems to have worked. I'm interested in the alternative solution, but you hold down Alt and what else to rebuild sync data?

I really appreciate all of the help. One more question though; I'd like to use the 1Tb of Lightroom CC storage to keep copies of my Lightroom Classic CC photos. How can I do that?

I made sure all my photos were in the correct folders and deleted all the photos in synced photos, and that seems to have worked. I'm interested in the alternative solution, but you hold down Alt and what else to rebuild sync data?
Go to Lightroom Sync tab in Lightroom Classic Preferences then hold alt\option and the Rebuild Sync Data appears.

I really appreciate all of the help. One more question though; I'd like to use the 1Tb of Lightroom CC storage to keep copies of my Lightroom Classic CC photos. How can I do that?
@hafeatherston I do not know that you can. I think to use the 1Tb of storage you would need to import originals directly into Lightroom (not Lightroom Classic), this then stores the originals in the Lightroom Cloud. Lightroom Classic can download the originals from Lightroom but to the best of my understanding you now have two copies of the full size files, one in Lightroom Cloud and the other in Lightroom Classic. There are many discussions and debates online about this, here is just one. This one Lightroom cloud ecosystem vs. Lightroom Classic - which do I need? | The Lightroom Queen may also be of interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back