On import pictures are shown upside down LR2.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJR

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Since my update to LR2.3 my pictures are shown upside down in the import pre-view panel. Once imported the pics are shown as they use to be shown.
It doesnt matter whether I import from SD card or by USB?

How to correct this?

So this is happening from a card reader as well as direct cable connection to the camera - is that right?

So this is happening from a card reader as well as direct cable connection to the camera - is that right?

Sorry for my late reply Victoria but I was out.
Yes the upside down view occurs in both situations (card and cable).

Have you got a clue?

Thanks Cor.

Hi Cor

I'm stumped! What happens if you import directly from the hard drive? Same again? What camera? And file type?

Victoria Bampton;4'379 said:
Hi Cor
I'm stumped!

Come on Victoria, don't let your head hang down, together we are stong :)
- Importing pics from HD into LR works fine without any problem!
- Gear: Nikon D9' and Canon PowersShot SX1 IS
- File types: both Raw and Jpg.
- Memory: either a Sandisk Extreme III 2.'GB or Sandisk Extreme III 4.'GB SDHC.

My PC is about 4 years old. My Toshiba Laptop is less than one year old. Both machines have the same odd behaviour.

Would you give it another try please?

Thanks
Cor

Thik Hai;4'445 said:
- Importing pics from HD into LR works fine without any problem!

Ok, if you put the card in the reader, and then go to File > Import Photos from Disk and import as if you're importing off the hard drive, what happens then? I'm wondering if there's a difference between import from disk and import from device.

Victoria Bampton;4'479 said:
Ok, if you put the card in the reader, and then go to File > Import Photos from Disk and import as if you're importing off the hard drive, what happens then? I'm wondering if there's a difference between import from disk and import from device.

Hi Victoria, I am back again. Meanwhile I have done the things you want me to do and the results are as follows.

On the PC side with the card in the card reader:
- File/Disk -> preview shows pics in the correct position
- File/Device -> preview shows pics in the correct position
- Through the Import Button -> preview shows pics in correct position

On the PC side with the camera connected through USB:
- File/Disk -> not possible (but that's obvious)
- File/Device -> preview shows pics in the correct position
- Through the Import Button -> preview shows pics in correct position

Surprisingly to see that also Importing via the Import Button on the Lower left corner of the Library's left panel is now showing the pics in the correct position too! This was not the case this File/Disk or File/Device action.

On Laptop is not a suitable card reader so the only thing I could do was to test via the USB connection. None of the steps have changed the behaviour of LR in this respect i.e. all pics are shown upside down.

What more can I try to solve this mystery.
Thanks in advance,
Cor

Hang on, so we're saying it's only the laptop version that shows them upside down, and the PC is now fine? Or did I miss a bit?

Victoria Bampton;4'789 said:
Hang on, so we're saying it's only the laptop version that shows them upside down, and the PC is now fine? Or did I miss a bit?

You understood me perfectly well.
But meanwhile the situation has changed. I have checked things out again a while ago and found to my surprise that when the camera(s) is/are connected to the computer through a USB connection to import the previews are upside down again :oops:. Importing via card and cardreader still goes fine on the PC. So on both machines PC and Laptop it goes wrong when a USB cable is used to transfer the photos.

Please don't start laughing as I am 1''% sure that this was absolutely not the matter yesterday and this morning (apart from the Laptop of course).

Cheers
Cor

I'm not laughing, I promise - there's just a slight look of confusion on my face! LOL

One other thought - are there multiple settings on your camera - for example some have PTP and PC - and if so, perhaps that gives a difference in result.

On your laptop, have you tried installing the software that came with the camera? Lightroom uses the OS drivers, or the manufacturer's drivers if they exist.

Victoria Bampton;4'797 said:
I'm not laughing, I promise - there's just a slight look of confusion on my face! LOL

One other thought - are there multiple settings on your camera - for example some have PTP and PC - and if so, perhaps that gives a difference in result.

On your laptop, have you tried installing the software that came with the camera? Lightroom uses the OS drivers, or the manufacturer's drivers if they exist.

Yeah you better don't Victoria Bampton (Laughing I mean) ;)

I don't believe this is a matter of camera settings as the problem occurred immediately after me installing the 2.3 Dutch version. Before that version everything was working perfectly alright. From the links Brad Snyder provided me earlier with I learned that I am not the only one facing this odd behaviour of Lightroom. I understand that also earlier releases of LR could have these difficulties. Thus far no solution was found for it. It's like Russian Roulette. You might be lucky or you might be not be the lucky one. Hence I don't think we can solve this together. Do you advise me to report this issue as a bug perhaps?

Cheerio
Cor

Ah, the Dutch version could be an interesting factor. Yes, other people have seen other odd import behaviour too - I think it's largely down to the fact that it uses the operating system's own drivers, and there's such a huge range of cameras and drivers that there's a huge range for error. But yes, definitely report it - the more reports, the more likely the cause is to be found, and a solution created.

Dear Victoria,

Three more things for your information and to end with:
Victoria Bampton;4'914 said:
Ah, the Dutch version could be an interesting factor.
To find out whether or not the Dutch version possibly could cause the problem I have reinstalled the LR2.3 UK version yesterday. Unfortunately there is no change in behaviour of the previews on import between the Dutch and the UK version. Also in the UK version the peviews from the cardreader are ok and those from the camera through USB remain shown upside down.

I think it's largely down to the fact that it uses the operating system's own drivers, and there's such a huge range of cameras and drivers that there's a huge range for error.
In this respect I recall this rather painfull experience of mine about the item you promised not to laugh about i.e. "One day the USB worked and all in a sudden the other day it did't " The only change made on my computer system in between those two message was a rather large Microsoft XP update.

But yes, definitely report it - the more reports, the more likely the cause is to be found, and a solution created.
How do I send/create a bug report about this matter?

Cheers for now.
Cor

Ok have sent the Bug Report.
Whish to thank you Victoria and Brad for your efforts and time to listen to me.

Thanks and till the next time.
Cor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back