• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

On import from camera LR has started adding -2 to file name

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsinsf

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
I recently imported about 300 photos from the memory card taken out of my Canon 5d IV, and LR has added -2 to the file name of all the photos, for example, _XOA2935 becomes -X0A2938-2. I can't figure out why this has started and would like to get rid of it. Please help....thanks!

I recently imported about 300 photos from the memory card taken out of my Canon 5d IV, and LR has added -2 to the file name of all the photos, for example, _XOA2935 becomes -X0A2938-2. I can't figure out why this has started and would like to get rid of it. Please help....thanks!

IF you use finder/explorer on the destination folder you will find there is already a file with the same name (and one with a -1 appended in that folder. Your operating filesystem is appending the -2 to the file name to prevent a collision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. Here is what I found in LR/Hard drive name/Photos: many photos with the same file name, listed in chronologic order:
_X0A2935.CR2 2016
_X0A2935.CR2 2017
_X0A2935.CR2 2019
_X0A2935-2CR2 2019
_X0A2935.CR2 2021
_X0A2935-2CR2 2021
So it seems my operating system adding the -2 to avoid duplicate file names is random. What is the easiest and most reliable way to avoid duplicate file names in LR? Idealy something automatic would be best for me since remembering to do something upon import each time is possible but not reliable!

Thanks. Here is what I found in LR/Hard drive name/Photos: many photos with the same file name, listed in chronologic order:
_X0A2935.CR2 2016
_X0A2935.CR2 2017
_X0A2935.CR2 2019
_X0A2935-2CR2 2019
_X0A2935.CR2 2021
_X0A2935-2CR2 2021
So it seems my operating system adding the -2 to avoid duplicate file names is random. What is the easiest and most reliable way to avoid duplicate file names in LR? Idealy something automatic would be best for me since remembering to do something upon import each time is possible but not reliable!

Is the 2016-2021 a part of the file name? Are you renaming in Lightroom on import? Generally there is no problem with duplicate file names in Lightroom Classic. It is the filesystem naming rules that prevent two files with the same name IN the SAME folder.

“_X0A2935.CR2” and “_X0A2935-2.CR2” And named thus because of the filesystem naming conventions. The “CR2” is the file extension If 2019 is the folder name then you have indeed tried to put two files with the same name in the same folder violating the filesystem rules.

The simplest method to avoid these problems is to use a date named folder scheme that Lightroom will automatically create. Do not rename on import. And set the camera to increment consecutively beginning at 0001 through 9999. It is unlikely that you will shoot 10,000 images in the same day that would be stored in that day’s folder.

Lightroom does not care about file names, they are not used in a well managed Lightroom organization scheme.

Thanks for the response. I added the year dates for this post, they are not part of the file names. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for the suggestion, but I have close to 100,000 photos sorted by location (no date folders) which has worked well for me. Creating date named folders to avoid duplicate file names seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist for me if duplicate file names aren't an issue in LR. I was hoping there was a way for either LR or my operating system to automatically add something like the -2 to duplicate file names. The fact that my OS does it only sometimes is confusing. If there is no way in Lightroom to automatically add additional numbers to avoid duplicate file names, I guess I'll search around in Mac forums to see if there is a way to make the OS adding the -2 (or-3, or -4, etc) automatic and reliable to avoid duplicate file names.

Thanks for the response. I added the year dates for this post, they are not part of the file names. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for the suggestion, but I have close to 100,000 photos sorted by location (no date folders) which has worked well for me. Creating date named folders to avoid duplicate file names seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist for me if duplicate file names aren't an issue in LR. I was hoping there was a way for either LR or my operating system to automatically add something like the -2 to duplicate file names. The fact that my OS does it only sometimes is confusing. If there is no way in Lightroom to automatically add additional numbers to avoid duplicate file names, I guess I'll search around in Mac forums to see if there is a way to make the OS adding the -2 (or-3, or -4, etc) automatic and reliable to avoid duplicate file names.

Folders are not the best vehicle for organization. And you have discovered one of the reasons why. The filesystem can not allow two files with the sane name in the same folder period. It is not a method of organization recommended by those of us that use Lightroom Classic as a significant Data Asset Management (DAM) tool.
Using a better folder naming scheme IS the solution to the problem that you opened yourself up to. However it is not your only solution. Earlier I said that renaming files on import is unnecessary as Lightroom Classic does not care about file names. You can. On the other hand use a file naming template on import to make sure that you never have a file naming collision on import. You will need to create a file naming template the employees some unique metadata about the file that you are going to import. Filename number suffix is unique UNTIL to reuse the file name number suffix in your camera. Creation Date is another unique piece of metadata except that it is not unique if you shoot more than one image per day. So for you the file naming template that might offer the best solution if you insist on using a subject base folder structure would be a template that uses a combination of file number suffix and Creation Date.

Subject words and phrases are best used as Keywords or Collection names and not folder names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back