• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

OMS OM-1 ORF files and LrC Lens Corrections

Status
Not open for further replies.

djrphoto

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 11.3.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I've been editing photos made using my new OMS OM-1 camera. In one of the photos I noticed the horizon had a "dip" in it. I've not noticed this in other photos from other Olympus cameras I own (EM-1 Mark 2 for instance) using the same lens (12-40 mm f 2.8). I thought this was odd so I tried to correct it using the Distortion slider in the Manual tab of the Lens Correction panel. That helped but I would need to crop the image afterward. I undid the change and went to the Profile tab of the Lens Corection Panel. To my surprise, checking "Enable Profile Corrections" actually made a difference to the image. I was surprised by this since with my older Olympus cameras checking "Enable Profile Corrections" isn't needed as the lens profile of m4/3 cameras are automatically applied.

Here's a screenshot when editing a photo from the EM-1 Mk2

DRoeder_0-1652730848809.png
expand image

Here's a screenshot of the panel when editing the ORF file from the OM-1

DRoeder_1-1652730952161.png
expand image

Has anyone else noticed this? While the panel shows the model and make of the lens, an Adobe support page (https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/supported-lenses.html) does not list any lens profiles for any Olympus/OMS lenses. Any idea of what is being done by LrC? What it's based on?

mac OS 12.3.1 LrC 11.3.1

If you uncheck Enable Profile Corrections, does it say a built in profile is applied at the bottom of the panel?

If you want to upload one of the raw files somewhere (e.g. dropbox) and send me a link, I'll be happy to investigate further.

Thank you for your reply.

When I uncheck Enable Profile Corrections, it does NOT say built in profile applied. There is nothing at the bottom of the panel. The Lens Profile section goes dark grey, but you can still see the lens information. Here's a screen shot.

1652802016841.png

Another interesting thing is what shows up when I edit a file created using a Panasonic LUMIX lens: It also makes profile corrections (you can see the image change when you check/uncheck the Enable Profile Corrections box, but the Make of the lens says "OM Digital Solutions" even though it is a LUMIX lens (as you can see in the Model information.

As I said, this behavior was really unexpected to me. Perhaps OMDS is adding new information in the ORF Raw files with the new camera. I don't know. I am pretty sure the ORF files with the OM-1 camera are different than the ORF files from my EM-1 Mk2 camera since Apple doesn't recognize the files yet (in iOS 15.4.1 or macOS 12.3.1).

I have created a folder on Box with three ORF files and associated XMP files. There is one file created with my EM-1 Mk2 (filename starts with DJRe_) and two files created with my OM-1 (filename starting with DJRf_). Here is the link:
https://app.box.com/s/x9328xw6doue073h4ek1rp6yb5jxcwad

Thanks with your help on this. It sure seems like odd behavior.

Perfect, got em. I can see the difference. With EM1 mk2, you had no choice, they were always applied. But now, with the OMDS, they're disabled by default, so you're enabling them by turning on Enable Profile Corrections. Where it says Camera Settings in the Profile field, that means it's reading the profile that the camera has written, just like the EM1 mk2 does all the time.

Thank you for the explanation. I wonder why they changed the behavior.

I guess I'll have to consider having that box checked in my Raw default settings (or else just remember to check that box while processing to see the impact). Haven't had to do that for a while.

Thanks again for your help. :)

It’s been a long term feature request from people who wanted to be able to turn them off. They couldn’t change it for past cameras but have done so for new ones. Setting it in the defaults is the easiest solution if you prefer it turned on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back