Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
6.7 perpetual
Operating System
  1. Other (please note in thread)
I have an Olympus TG-4 and shoot RAW which my LR 6.7 (MacOSX 10.9.5) supports and considering upgrading to a TG-5 or TG-6.
However, are the RAW files of both cameras supported in my LR version?

I ask because the two cameras are so similar that I'm wondering if the RAW files are identical, and thereby interchangeable (I've heard that TG-5 files are supported)?

Short answer- No.
From- Cameras supported by Camera Raw

TG-5 needs v6.12. TG-6 needs Classic v8.3
You could do either-
Upgrade to the Photography Plan for $9.99/m by subscription, or
Convert your files with the Adobe DNG Converter to be compatible with any Lr version.

Thanks to both.
I would like to keep using the perpetual version of LR.
I see that the current version of DNG converter won't work with my OSX version (10.9.5 Mavericks) but I eventually found version 9.6.1 (latest version for my OS) but according to the Camera RAW camera support list (as of August 2019) I need version 11.3 or later for converting Olympus TG-6 RAW files to DNG, so no go (at least not until I upgrade OSX which is another matter).

If I do upgrade my OS later down the road (and can in turn convert TG-6 RAW files to DNG), is there an easier way to convert and import the files into LR? Perhaps telling LR somehow to import from the memory card, then do the rest automatically.

If I do upgrade my OS later down the road (and can in turn convert TG-6 RAW files to DNG), is there an easier way to convert and import the files into LR? Perhaps telling LR somehow to import from the memory card, then do the rest automatically.
Unfortunately no. LR needs to understand the information contained in the raw file and DNG converter does this for it. The location of the file is immaterial.

Perhaps a script can be used to import the RAW files from the memory card, convert them to DNG using the Adobe DNG converter, then finally import them into LR, all with one click. But that's probably more a Mac question than anything LR related... unless someone here already has worked out such a solution.

So far however, and upgrade to the TG-5 seems like a better choice than the TG-6, given all the extra hassle of the latter.

I have not tried it myself, but, I do believe no script would be needed. The Adobe DNG Converter could just be given a Folder address on the memory card as the "Source", and set the "Destination" Folder for the DNG files to a permanent location on the Mac hard drive.
You will however still have to 'Import' the files to add them to the Lightroom Catalog database (using the 'Add' option leaving the DNGs in their "Destination" folder location.).
On Macs I also believe that you can simply drag files (from their destination folder) onto the Lr App icon to easily open Lightroom with the Import dialog ready to Import the files.
And yes, the TG-5 with DNG conversion does seem the only choice with your current OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back