Olympus lens profile not automatically used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RP266

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
Unlike what I have read in other messages on this LR Queen forum, the RAW files produced by my Olympus micro-four-thirds camera and its Olympus lenses do NOT indicate "i Built-in lens profile applied" at the bottom of the "Lens Corrections" panel in Lightroom. That section is blank. This is true regardless of whether "Enable Profile Corrections" is checked On or Off. Several people have mentioned that for such lenses, Lightroom automatically does the lens correction. If so, then why am I not seeing the message that others see, "i Built-in lens profile applied" ? I am using Lightroom 5.7.

Thanks in advance.

IIRC, the information message to advise that the lens profile has been automatically applied was only introduced in LR6. In LR5 the profile is applied, but it was necessary to open the file into Camera Raw to see the message.

I am pulling this thread back up because I have a similar question...

I have Lightroom Classic CC, and use Olympus lenses. I do get the message in the Lens Correction Panel that my lenses have built in Lens Profiles for CA and/or Distortion correction (depending on the lens). When I toggle the check boxes and/or Lens Correction panel on/off, I can see very subtle changes made to deal with fringing (though I oftentimes need to add more, particularly for purple fringing)... proof that the CA correction is doing something, at least. However, no matter what I do, I see absolutely no changes made to distortion correction. This is even true with the 7-14mm Pro at 7mm, where there is obvious distortion in the corners. Manually applying distortion correction clearly makes a difference, but the automatic distortion corrections do not seem to be doing anything at all.

I know that on earlier versions of LR, this section was handled differently and that there were automatic distortion corrections applied (with effect) to Olympus lenses, even ones that don't claim to have such profiles now (the 8mm FE is one such). However, I also have heard that they weren't as effective as other distortion correction applications.

Has anyone else noticed this or perhaps knows what's going on? Is there a setting I need to change to enable automatic distortion correction? Were the automatic distortion corrections disabled in Olympus profiles because they weren't doing a good enough job? Or are the distortion corrections being applied, but can't be turned off and are so subtle that I'm not even registering it as having been done?

Yeah, Olympus builds the profiles into their files so they're always applied without you doing anything. The corrections match those applied to the JPEGs in camera. If you were to open the raw file in an editor that can disable the opcodes in the file, then you'd see just how much work they're doing (or not). That doesn't mean Olympus profiles are perfect though, so Lightroom allows you to add an additional profile on top to smooth it out further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back