Olympus in-camera HDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobT

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I have an Olympus E-M1. It has in-camera HDR mode. If the camera is set to HDR and raw shooting mode, the camera take a number of images at varying EV adjustments then outputs two images, one is the composite HDR as a jpg and the other is a raw with 0EV adjustment, that is to say, the correct exposure. Why? Don't ask! Anyway, both the jpg and the raw are given the same file number but of course with different extensions. When importing into LR, only the raw is taken up. This is of no use because it doesn't have the HDR effect. I suspect that LR assumes the files are identical so disregards the jpg and shows only the raw. The work around is to remember to switch to jpg mode when shooting HDR or deleting the raw in explorer before importing into LR but that's a bit clumsy. Is there a setting in LR that will allows it to import both images, that is to say, two images with the same file number but different extensions?

If you go to Preferences > General tab, there's a Show JPEG images next to RAW checkbox that'll import them as separate photos in the Grid. The warning is if you shoot RAW+JPEG at other times, they'll end up as separate photos too.

Just out of curiosity, are you sure that's not a raw-HDR file?
If it's anything like the Pentax K-3's raw-HDR mode, it should have all the exposures in that one raw file. (Check the filesize.) The downside, is that LR still doesn't do anything with the extra exposures - making it rather pointless to me. I'd rather them just be separate and do the merging in LR. What's worse, is that if you ever do an 'update DNG previews & Metadata' or ever do a '2nd conversion' (like to alter compatibility settings) - the file will get flattened to just one exposure without you knowing it. ... Although come to think of it - I doubt your camera writes DNG's in the first place, so just doing an initial conversion will likely discard all but one.

I haven't checked, but I'm guessing the only one that LR will deal with is probably the 1st exposure the camera is set for.

I was not aware that any in camera processed HDR produced a RAW output file. Since RAW files are not RGB, I am not sure how you could process a RAW HDR image using the conventional RAW processor scheme of one file per exposure. I do see how Pentax could bundle 3 or more RAW files in side a single file envelop, but I do not know of any 3rd party app (like LR) that could properly process such a file.

No, Bob's right, it's just a standard 0EV raw file.

If you go to Preferences > General tab, there's a Show JPEG images next to RAW checkbox that'll import them as separate photos in the Grid. The warning is if you shoot RAW+JPEG at other times, they'll end up as separate photos too.
Thanks Victoria! That's perfect.
I've since learnt the reason for providing a 0EV adjusted raw in addition to the composite HDR jpg, is so that one has fall back if the HDR proves unsuccessful.

I do see how Pentax could bundle 3 or more RAW files in side a single file envelop, but I do not know of any 3rd party app (like LR) that could properly process such a file.

Yep, that's what it is.. Several separate exposures bundled.
Outside of the full-size JPG in the raw, the only way to do anything with it, I think, is to use that crappy crashy Silkypix. But since that ain't about to happen for me, I haven't even bothered to check for sure. That's what makes that mode so pointless IMO.

Although, my understanding is that Pentax's Pixel Shift also uses the 4 separate raws bundled into 1 file - and I think at least one other manufacturer might do the same for their version of it. So it'll be interesting if the likes of LR or C1 will ever do anything with bundled raws. ... At least not flattening them without warning could be a nice start.

I was not aware that any in camera processed HDR produced a RAW output file. Since RAW files are not RGB, I am not sure how you could process a RAW HDR image using the conventional RAW processor scheme of one file per exposure. I do see how Pentax could bundle 3 or more RAW files in side a single file envelop, but I do not know of any 3rd party app (like LR) that could properly process such a file.

I works very well too; even hand held. How I understand it: The camera makes jpg and raw files --- the jpg are made into the HDR (or panorama and stacked ) and the raw files are saved to the card and can be used in other ways. Jpg file disappear . Been awhile since I have used it, or the Oly for that matter . EM1 would have to be the best camera I have own or used ; so far ahead of the dslr cameras

The only thing I see is, "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate files". Is this what you mean? Is there anyplace that I can tell that the photo was shot in in camera HDR?

Yep, that's the one. After ticking the box, you'll need to syschronize the folder that contains the raw. That will import the JPEG. All future raw/JPEG pairs will import as separate files. I doubt that you can tell if it's an HDR file, though. Well, if it was successful, it'll probably look considerably different from the raw image.

following this thread, how does LR cloud deal with the RAW and jpeg files created in camera in my OMD E1 Mk2. I can’t work out which is the HDR image?

following this thread, how does LR cloud deal with the RAW and jpeg files created in camera in my OMD E1 Mk2. I can’t work out which is the HDR image?
Applying what I understand about Nikon's in Camera HDR, it works like this: The camera shoots multiple RAW images to create the components of the HDR Composite. The camera processing software converts these to RGB (JPEG) and invokes the in camera HDR function. The composite HDR image is produced and saved as a JPEG. The Camera may throw away the RAW images (Nikon Does) or it might save them as RAW.

In my Nikon Z7 camera, I can set the camera to output RAW and if I do, the option to shoot an HDR image is unselectable. If I set the camera to output JPEG, then HDR is an option.

In my understanding is the "HDR"-jpeg a tone-mapped HDR-Image (32-bit floating point) put in a 8-bit jpeg and that is an LDR (low dynamic range) image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back