• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Okay... I'm Even More Nuts Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what about growing Oak Trees Ian?
That should give you enough time to think...
... before getting "Nut". :lol:

Ian Farlow;114'8 said:
Yep. I am also the author of "Turning Dollars Into Dimes, A Geeks Guide To Blowing Money"
Just buyed Ian's book "A Geeks guide...".
Very efficient writing Ian! ;)

So much that last saturday, for the first time, I went into the Apple store in Montreal. To make a long story short, I fell in love with the big Mac Pro!
Can you tell me (within 3' minutes from this message's publication time) if OS 1'.5.1 can read/write NTFS formatted disks? If so, I am jumping in the car to go right back there to order this wonder! :D

On a side note: I saw that little Mac Air. The image on it was so amazing that the pictures on it were more like the real thing than a "picture". Is that OLED?

It can read but not write to NTFS.... well, without workarounds anyway.

And you can always move the data onto another drive and reformat your drives.

Go on.... you know you want to!!! ;)

Of course, you can always leave your PC hooked up, and read and write to those drives over the network too....

It can read but not write to NTFS.... well, without workarounds anyway.

And you can always move the data onto another drive and reformat your drives.

Go on.... you know you want to!!! ;)
I will be more specific:
I have 2'''$ worth of compatible stuff I already paid for. HDD for example. I wish to have the Mac Pro with only one drive for OS 1'.5.1. Then add a drive to "Boot Camp" on Windows XP and have a third drive for data. This third drive I want both OSX and Windows being able to write/read to.

Is that possible? With what format? FAT32 and not NTFS?...

OSX and Windows will both natively read and write FAT32 formatted drives, and there are workarounds from both directions to be able to read/write natively formatted drives as well, so your hard drives can certainly be used.

Go order it! :lol:

OSX and Windows will both natively read and write FAT32 formatted drives, and there are workarounds from both directions to be able to read/write natively formatted drives as well, so your hard drives can certainly be used.

Go order it! :lol:
7 minutes left...
What are those "workarounds"?

Ooops, sorry Denis. I wandered off!!!!

Ok, to write to NTFS drives from OSX, http://www.tuaw.com/2''7/11/19/ntfs-on-your-mac-two-ways/ or run Windows using Parallels or Fusion will also give you NTFS drive write ability (that's the option I prefer if I need NTFS).

And accessing HFS Drives from Boot Camp - MacDrive http://www.mediafour.com/support/macdrive/

I'd bet there are a few more alternatives too, but I've never bothered. I run Parallels for the odd occasions that I want Windows, and I keep a FAT32 external to hand for easy file transfer the rest of the time.

Ooops, sorry Denis. I wandered off!!!!

Ok, to write to NTFS drives from OSX, http://www.tuaw.com/2''7/11/19/ntfs-on-your-mac-two-ways/ or run Windows using Parallels or Fusion will also give you NTFS drive write ability (that's the option I prefer if I need NTFS).

And accessing HFS Drives from Boot Camp - MacDrive http://www.mediafour.com/support/macdrive/

I'd bet there are a few more alternatives too, but I've never bothered. I run Parallels for the odd occasions that I want Windows, and I keep a FAT32 external to hand for easy file transfer the rest of the time.
Too late! See my new signature... :D

But thanks for the above details. I will keep it at hand should I change my mind going from Bootcamp to Parallels... 8)

I had a lenghty conversation with the Apple representative. He answered all my questions with on screen demonstrations. So, I got a crash course on how to do it all and how to use it. My first impression was that FAT32 was limited to 32GB partitions but it is in XP world. I now know it can go far beyond if formatted from OSX.

I think I will absolutely love it. :p But it is about 17 days before I get it! It is sad I can not upgrade my watch to make it speedier. Seem the needles are running slower since last night. :(

The 16 inches thick layer of ice we had last winter destroyed my swimming pool and I added a Mac Pro?! Thanks to Ian's book "A Geek guide...", I am now totally broken for years to come. ;)

He he he!!! Well congratulations Denis!

Denis Pagé;1424' said:
Thanks to Ian's book "A Geek guide...", I am now totally broken for years to come. ;)

Welcome to the fold. It's all downhill, financially speaking, from this point on...

Welcome to the fold. It's all downhill, financially speaking, from this point on...
Well... Seem that I skipped the chapter about the most expensive printers on the market tough. That book is quite thick! Maybe as much as my wallet is thin now. :roll:

You didn't read the chapter that said when you want to buy a printer, just go buy an expensive one, like the PIXMA Pro 95'' I just bought? While I'm very happy with it, I had never considered spending close to a grand on a printer a reasonable thing to do until I really starting putting a lot of my time into photography.

Okay, so it's still not a reasonable thing to do, but it's a great printer. And sure, there are more expensive printers available, but I had to draw the line somewhere so that I could justify the cost by saying hey, at least it's not two grand! <-- that tip and others for convincing yourself that it's okay to spend too much money are available in the book.

You didn't read the chapter that said when you want to buy a printer, just go buy an expensive one, like the PIXMA Pro 95'' I just bought?
I already have one that size. I am looking for an Epson 488'. :)
But wallet is empty. :cry:
And things may get worse as I may have to buy MonacoEZcolor + Device twice! The reason is that I have version 2.' and that OSX 1'.5.1 need 2.6.6 which is a free upgrade from 2.5. Now waiting for an answer from X-Rite. :roll:

Have you seen the Colormunki? Looks interesting.

Oh, and yeah... I'd love to have an even bigger printer, but there's no way. I have to draw the line somewhere... really, I do... I swear I won't get one someday... honest...

I have to draw the line somewhere... really, I do... I swear I won't get one someday... honest...
:down:

:up:

Your wishes are orders! Satisfied? :mrgreen:
Just don't draw the line from back to front but from left to right. ;)

Well... it's done. I went back to Nikon and am now the proud owner of a Nikon D3 and 24-7' f2.8 lens. The rest is pending some payments to me, but I will be getting a couple of SB-8''s and a 7'-2'' f/2.8 to pair with the 24-7'. From there... who knows? Maybe the 14-24?

I can't talk right now... I need to get back into my corner so I can go fetal and suck my thumb some more. I'm still in shock how much money a spent this morning.

Ian Farlow;15'37 said:
Well... it's done. I went back to Nikon and am now the proud owner of a Nikon D3 and 24-7' f2.8 lens. The rest is pending some payments to me, but I will be getting a couple of SB-8''s and a 7'-2'' f/2.8 to pair with the 24-7'. From there... who knows? Maybe the 14-24?

I can't talk right now... I need to get back into my corner so I can go fetal and suck my thumb some more. I'm still in shock how much money a spent this morning.

Congrats, Ian! :mrgreen:

Saw your post on another forum and figured it had to be you!

Those folks at Showcase sure are good at separating a fellow from his money...(I speak from experience) but it's a great store and I've found if you whine a little they'll give you a break on pricing, at least enough to make up for the outrageous Atlanta sales tax.

The 7'-2'' is a great lens. Don't play with one unless you can afford to buy it, I was satisfied with my 8'-2'' until a friend(?) let me use his for a few shots. Within a week I was hauling a box of stuff down to KEH to sell.....

Anyway, congratulations again! How are things working out with the new gear?

Bill

Ian Farlow;15'37 said:

I use A D3'' (DX sensor). What I read in tests (dpreview I think) is that this lens is optimized for the DX format and I heared from expierenced D3 users they switched off the vignetting correction to get the best result.

I expect that many of the lenses will start to show their flaws with the FX sensor. It's just a matter of how much one is willing to live with those flaws and if they are considered major or minor. The 24-7' exhibits mild vignetting at 24 mm. Nothing terrible, in my opinion. I can definitely live with it, and I can't remember the last time I had a similar lens on an actual film camera, so I can't recall if there were similar issues then as well.

I hear the 7'-2'' is soft in the corners on the D3. Again, I doubt that will be a big enough issue for me to move past the lens and avoid purchasing it. Now I just have to find it...

I expect that many of the lenses will start to show their flaws with the FX sensor. It's just a matter of how much one is willing to live with those flaws and if they are considered major or minor. The 24-7' exhibits mild vignetting at 24 mm. Nothing terrible, in my opinion. I can definitely live with it, and I can't remember the last time I had a similar lens on an actual film camera, so I can't recall if there were similar issues then as well.

I hear the 7'-2'' is soft in the corners on the D3. Again, I doubt that will be a big enough issue for me to move past the lens and avoid purchasing it. Now I just have to find it...

That would mean Nikon has set it's mind on DX. I hear the Canon 7'-2''/2.8 is just the other way around: better in full frame.
I don't know anything about other lenses (you could check dpreview), I use DX Nikon and that suits me. I wonder what will happen when the 24Mp is introduced (D4'', D3X, D4?). Onfortunatly there is no equivalent for the 7'-2''/2.8.

That would mean Nikon has set it's mind on DX.

It would mean Nikon had set its mind on DX -- the 7'-2''/2.8 AF-S VR was released around the time of the D1, when FX sensors were a long way off for Nikon. The rumor mill promises large numbers of high-end lens updates in the next few years for Nikon; one could guess that these will include better suitability on FX sensors.

It would mean Nikon had set its mind on DX -- the 7'-2''/2.8 AF-S VR was released around the time of the D1, when FX sensors were a long way off for Nikon. The rumor mill promises large numbers of high-end lens updates in the next few years for Nikon; one could guess that these will include better suitability on FX sensors.

I hope so! That would be the time for me to move to Dx3 or D4, whathever they choose as a modelnumber.

It is hip-hop: new camera -> new lenses -> new camera -> new lenses aso. For me it means I will stick with the D3'' (finance matters too!!) I am always one leap behind in technical things, like a D3'' and not a D3. Same for phone, TV and other things. I like it that way: NOT the newest technoligy, but the one before (a year ago ...).

Ian Farlow;15'37 said:

Ian, This 7'-2'' is a marvel! Sell your house and go for it! ;)

I do have one and I mostly shoot Football and Car Racing with my D2''. I can easily see clothes fibers at great distance...

Well... I may have to sell my house for a D3 that I miss so much for late games at night. But I do have an advantage as I get everything for half the price! :D

My trick? I share my equipment with a (carefull) friend. He first offered me to share and after a couple years of this, we had only two "need at the same time" problem. At those times, we did with our lower end cameras. He buyed all the lenses and I buyed the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back