Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Farlow

Founder of Lightroom Forums
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Well... it all started in late 2''7 when I purchased a Mac Pro. That was quickly followed by a MacBook, which was sold recently and replaced with a MacBook Pro. That's my recent, and expensive journey through nuts-ville. But I am about to embark on a new, even more expensive journey on a return trip to nuts-ville. Let me back up many, many years...

I started photography with a Minolta X7''. That lasted several years and was a blast to use. I learned quite a bit on that camera, most of which I've promptly forgotten. That camera ended up being replaced by a Nikon N9', which also saw a lot of use. Ultimately, that camera was replaced with a D1'' as I entered the dSLR world. Loved it.

Until I got the Canon 2'D. I loved it even more. Or so I thought. But I missed my comfort with Nikon. The ergonomics, the interaction... hard to explain, but I liken it to the Windows/Mac debate that has raged on for so long. Since moving to the Mac, I can understand why so many people love them. I feel the same way about Nikon, even though Canon is an excellent camera manufacturer. So I ended up in a D2'' and was happy again. Until I saw the low-light/high ISO noise. It could be corrected with software, but it was disappointing nonetheless.

During all of this, I wanted to go into a single piece body since I was always attaching a grip to my previous cameras, and so I compared the D2X with the 1D Mark IIn. Because of cost, I ended up with the Canon. This is a great camera and has served me well. Unfortunately, Nikon just kicked me in the gentleman's parts with the release of the D3.

I'm not here to debate Canon versus Nikon, and do not want this thread to go that way. Nor do I want it to break down into a Windows versus Mac argument. No, I simply want to point out that I hate Nikon for releasing the D3, as it has renewed my faith in Nikon products. I will be switching as the lure of a high-ISO performing, full frame CMOS sensor is just too great. Granted, I will be taking a shot in the wallet to do so, but eBay has been good to me in the past as I take very good care of my equipment, so all of my Canon stuff, the 1D Mark IIn, 7'-2'' 2.8L, 24-7' 2.8L, and the 58' EX Mark II, plus some extras, will be on eBay within a few hours.

Why did I post this? I guess I need to let everyone know I am certifiably insane! Oops... gotta run. I think I hear the men in white suits knocking on the front door...

By the way, anyone here have a D3 or D3'' and want to share their experiences?

I thought you were going to say that you did something really crazy like buying the new Phase One camera and a P45 back. Selling your Canon gear to buy Nikon stuff is just kinda loopy. :p

I hope that you don't have to buy it all back when the 5D successor comes out.

I thought you were going to say that you did something really crazy like buying the new Phase One camera and a P45 back. Selling your Canon gear to buy Nikon stuff is just kinda loopy. :p

I hope that you don't have to buy it all back when the 5D successor comes out.

I thought about that. I wish it were out now, so I could make a decent comparison. I am wondering if the 5D Mark II (if there even is such a thing) was/is delayed to watch the D3's progress?

I am wondering if the 5D Mark II (if there even is such a thing) was/is delayed to watch the D3's progress?

I bet that they did not delay the 5DMKII(or whatever) so that they could watch people sell off their Canon gear to buy a D3.

I think that Nikon seriously dropped the ball after the D1. The D1 was the first digital camera that I saw advertising pros use. When the 1Ds came out though, a lot of photographers that were on the fence finally took the plunge and went digital. Soon after that, everyone I knew was shooting with a Canon. Nikon's D2 was too little too late. The D3 looks like it has put them back in the game though. If I was looking to buy a serious camera and shot a lot of available light pictures, that is the one that I would get.

Do you have a link to the ebay page, or what are you asking for it all. I belong to a forum http://www.theswampbbs.com/forums/ and there are a few people with the Nikon D3 and also with Canon cameras. Go take a look and tell them I sent you. You might find a good buyer for the gear.

I'll agree that the D3 is a kick in the nuts for Canon users, but I suspect the 5D Mark II will more than make up for it. The D3 is really the first Nikon camera I've been impressed by. As impressions go, Canon has had a better run with me, and I doubt they're going to keep resting on their laurels now that the 5D finally has a serious competitor. If Nikon runs with the ball, now they've got it, they might start my head turning. But, in my opinion, I've seen them drop the ball more times than not.

Either way, though, I think you'll end up with a fine camera.

When I bought the 4'D to replace my 2'D, I was between it and the 5D. Took the cheaper option, more as a way of biding my time until the 5D Mark II. When that comes out, I'm hopeful I'll be in a financial place where I can throw down on it. ;)

Andrew, I haven't listed anything yet, but my eBay name is ifonline. I'll be getting to that in just a little bit.

Matthew, you make some very good points.

On the D3'' side, here is an interesting review. Followed by many readers/users comments. Noise level on a D3'' at ISO8'' is about the same as that of the D2'' at ISO 4''. For the D3, the same noise level is around ISO64''/32''.

P.S.: Are you the author of "The neverending story"? ;)

P.S.: Are you the author of "The neverending story"? ;)

I think that we're all writing that one.

One thing that miss from the film days is that the camera body had little to do with the image quality. It may have helped getting certain types of photos with film advance features and such, but with good glass any camera could be used to take a great picture that was as good as any other camera. I could use my 3' year old Minolta SRT1'' and take as good a photo as I could with an N9' or F5. It bugs me that now the image quality is so tied to the body, and two years later it's outdated.

rcannonp,
Nevertheless a two year old digital camera can still be used to take as good shots now as when it was the latest, fastest "best" camera. The release of new cameras does not stop our old cameras from working, though we may aspire to the cleaner, sharper, brighter higher resolution photos that the new cameras may allow. I agree with you, but I try to remember (sometimes unsuccessfully) when reading through the kit reviews in the photographic press that the crucial part of my taking a photo is me and my eyes and not the particular gadget in my hand. It doesn't stop me dreaming though ...

I agree with you, but I try to remember (sometimes unsuccessfully) when reading through the kit reviews in the photographic press that the crucial part of my taking a photo is me and my eyes and not the particular gadget in my hand. It doesn't stop me dreaming though ...
:!::!::!: Not so I think. Even a professional can not take a nice photograph with bad equipment. Altough, having the very best equipment do not make someone a professional; but that helps! ;)

All very true comments. In current cameras, film is replaced by sensors. Unfortunately, we can't rip out the old sensors and replace them with the new higher quality ones like we could replace old film with new, higher quality film. Therefore, all of us will, at some point, replace our gear to get the next great thing.

For some of us, that happens all too often because, admittedly, we are also techno-geeks at heart. I have always enjoyed opening a new bit of technology, and this will certainly be no exception.

But, while I also agree that a camera alone does not make a good photographer, good technology certainly allows more freedom for expression. For example, this camera will open up low-light/high quality doors that I had not been able to step through previously. I am very excited about that.

Ian, I've read various reviews of the D3's astonishing low noise at very high ISOs. By profession I'm a theatre lighting designer and shoot all my shows at ISO 8'' on my Canon 5D. I can generally shoot hand held at 16'sec at f2.8 (7'-2'' f2.8 LIS) and am (usually) delighted by the results, with not much noise to speak of.

Nevertheless, as you suggest, I too am interested in the next best thing and I would be intrigued to shoot at say ISO 32'' on a D3 with even less noise than I get now.
I was slightly suprised to read that the Canon 1DS MkIII doesn't seem to be as noiseless at high ISOs despite being the top Canon camera.

It beggars belief trying to imagine what the specs of digital cameras will be in say 5 or 1' year's time! I guess trying to keep something like Lightroom up to date with the development of digital cameras and also build in new features along the way must be a truly Herculean task! Bravo to all those involved.

I wish you well with your new gear and look forward to hearing of your success with it!

John

Denis,

What I meant was that the arrival of new cameras don't make our old cameras bad. They still do what they always did - even the new, must-have features that they had when we upgraded to them from our previous still-working film cameras.

John

Ian, I've read various reviews of the D3's astonishing low noise at very high ISOs. By profession I'm a theatre lighting designer and shoot all my shows at ISO 8'' on my Canon 5D. I can generally shoot hand held at 16'sec at f2.8 (7'-2'' f2.8 LIS) and am (usually) delighted by the results, with not much noise to speak of.

Nevertheless, as you suggest, I too am interested in the next best thing and I would be intrigued to shoot at say ISO 32'' on a D3 with even less noise than I get now.
I was slightly suprised to read that the Canon 1DS MkIII doesn't seem to be as noiseless at high ISOs despite being the top Canon camera.

It beggars belief trying to imagine what the specs of digital cameras will be in say 5 or 1' year's time! I guess trying to keep something like Lightroom up to date with the development of digital cameras and also build in new features along the way must be a truly Herculean task! Bravo to all those involved.

I have been browsing YouTube for videos on the D3, and have been very impressed with what I have found. I have also done a fair amount of actual reading of reviews, opinions, examples, and even the manual that I downloaded from Nikon. Amazing technology, and you're right, I can't even imagine where we will be in 5 years time.

I wish you well with your new gear and look forward to hearing of your success with it!

John

Thanks. I will most certainly post up my opinions of the camera, as soon as Nikon decides to start making enough to meet demand. I might be sans camera for a bit, unfortunately.

Denis,

What I meant was that the arrival of new cameras don't make our old cameras bad. They still do what they always did - even the new, must-have features that they had when we upgraded to them from our previous still-working film cameras.

John

This is true. My roommate still shoots a 2'D and loves it. Well, he tolerates it, at any rate, waiting for the 5D Mark II (or whatever Canon decides to call it). It's still a good camera, though.

Denis,

I agree but I did not quote that part of your post...:up:

After using Windows since 3.' I changed over to a Mac a couple of years ago and I love it. Still use Windows at work and all of my friends are Windows users, although a few are now considering Macs now.

I've bee a Canon use all of my life and have enjoyed collecting Canon cameras (see link in sig). On Valentines day this year I treaded myself to a Nikon D3'' and I think it's a great camera. I've also bought the 1'.5 / 12-24 / 18-2'' lenses for it.

I'm still keeping my Canon gear though

There's got to be space in this world for Canon and Nikon to exist side by side, same as Windows and Macs. I'm glad there's a choice, life would be dull if we all liked the same things

Let me share with you a recent post on my blog:

This is the sad story of a stupid guy by the name of Ian. You see, Ian was sitting at home one evening, oh, approximately one week ago, and he came across a post about the Nikon D3.

“Wow!” he thought to himself. “What an amazing camera. I should sell my Canon equipment and get this!”

So that’s just what Ian set out to do. He listed his Canon 1D Mark IIn, 24-7' ƒ/2.8L, 7'-2'' ƒ/2.8L IS, and 58' EX Mark II. Almost instantly, Ian discovered that everything was selling… fast.

“Wow!” he thought again. “This is excellent.”

So Ian skipped down the street, whistling softly to himself, happy that he had made the right decision. Happy, that is, until he really considered the financial impact of his decision. At precisely that moment, Ian stopped whistling. And skipping.

“What the hell have I done!” Ian yelled at the top of his lungs. “Am I some sort of idiot?”

Idiot is right. Why on earth did I sell my Canon equipment like that? It hit me earlier today that, essentially, what I have done is take approximately $8''.'' out of my bank account and set it on fire. That’s basically the equivalent, anyway. Man, I am such a moron.

The two silver linings to this, if there really can be any, are:

I still have my 24-7' ƒ/2.8L lens
I just purchased a Canon 1D Mark III body
Unfortunately, the 7'-2'' ƒ/2.8 lens will have to wait a bit for new funds to roll in, but I’ll be back in order shortly.

Live and learn, I suppose. Live and learn…

I am sure the D3 is an excellent camera, and I will always love the ergonomics of Nikon equipment, but at this point, I am settled in with Canon. Not settled in a bad way, but comfortable and happy.

My first few shots with the Mark III have been awe inspiring. The low light capability is excellent, even if not exactly like the D3. The speed, 14 bit processing, etc. all make for a wonderful tool.

So... anyone have $17''.'' they would like to donate to the "Help Ian get over his stupid mistake fund" so I can re-buy a 7'-2''L IS USM lens? ;)

Oh, and I'm thinking of authoring a new book titled "Leave Well Enough Alone"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back