Odd problem with LR5.3, on a Windows 8 computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noctilux

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hello
After processing a group of photos, I go to export them and I get this message, The Lightroom catalog named "Lightroom 5 Catalog" cannot be opened because another application already has it opened. Quit the other copy of Lightroom before trying to launch.

Under that message is three choices... "Chose a Different Catlog"..if I use this, it brings me to "Adobe Photo Shop-Select Catalog" with a blank box.

"Continue" takes me nowhere And, "Exit" just deletes the box containing the the original message.

And I assure you that there is no other app open while I was using LR, and I cannot use LR while this problem exsits.

Iv'e been using LR since LR 3 and I've never had this problem. Thanks!

Can you show a screenshot of the export dialog, showing the bottom part? There is an option there to do something after the export. Maybe you've set that to something that causes this.

At some point when you last used this LR catalog you killed the LR app instead of closing properly or the system crashed when LR was running. In either event, there is a sentinel file in the folder where your catalog file is stored. This sentinel file is created everytime LR opens this catalog file and LR deletes it when LR closes. If the file is already there when you open, LR thinks the catalog file is already open by another instance of LR. The file has an extension "*.lock". Removing this file will let you open your LR catalog file properly.

Let me get this clear. Do you get this message when using Lightroom to export some images? That is how I read your message. In that case, something else is going on. If you get this message when you start Lightroom, then Cletus' explanation is what happens.

Hello
After processing a group of photos, I go to export them and I get this message, The Lightroom catalog named "Lightroom 5 Catalog" cannot be opened because another application already has it opened. Quit the other copy of Lightroom before trying to launch.

Under that message is three choices... "Chose a Different Catlog"..if I use this, it brings me to "Adobe Photo Shop-Select Catalog" with a blank box.

"Continue" takes me nowhere And, "Exit" just deletes the box containing the the original message.

And I assure you that there is no other app open while I was using LR, and I cannot use LR while this problem exsits.

Iv'e been using LR since LR 3 and I've never had this problem. Thanks!

Hello Johan...thnx for getting back to me!

As soon as I went to export, I got that message that I wrote about. And now, I can't open LR without getting the same message.
If I can find the DVD, I just may uninstall, and reinstall LR...that should do it!

I just may uninstall, and reinstall LR...that should do it!
No it won't.!!

Re-installing the program will not fix the problem.
Read the Post#3 above from Cletus carefully.
There is a file that ends with the suffix .LOCK - This file is preventing you from opening a catalog.
You must delete that xxxxx.lock file (and ONLY that one file) with the operating system (File Explorer) then restart Lightroom.

Hello Johan...thnx for getting back to me!

As soon as I went to export, I got that message that I wrote about. And now, I can't open LR without getting the same message.
If I can find the DVD, I just may uninstall, and reinstall LR...that should do it!

It's important to read carefully and not jump to conclusions. As I already said, if you get that warning when you open Lightroom, then the answer is the one that Cletus already gave you: delete that '.lock' file in your catalog folder. Uninstall and reinstall of Lightroom itself will be a total waste of time.

At some point when you last used this LR catalog you killed the LR app instead of closing properly or the system crashed when LR was running. In either event, there is a sentinel file in the folder where your catalog file is stored. This sentinel file is created everytime LR opens this catalog file and LR deletes it when LR closes. If the file is already there when you open, LR thinks the catalog file is already open by another instance of LR. The file has an extension "*.lock". Removing this file will let you open your LR catalog file properly.

Hi Cletus! Thnx for your help!
When I right click on the LR shortcut, all the file folders come up, and I whent through the list and found nothing named "Lock. Now, did you want me to open every one of those files to search for "lock?"

When I right click on the LR shortcut, all the file folders come up, and I whent through the list and found nothing named "Lock. Now, did you want me to open every one of those files to search for "lock?"

You should look for a file with the lock extension in your Lightroom catalog folder, not the Lightroom application folder and not your image folders.

Open the folder containing you LR catalog file. There should be a file with the ".lock" extension. If you can't find this, click on the Catalog file and LR will open using this catalog. If you are still having problems, post a screen shot of the folder containing your LR catalog file.

Open the folder containing you LR catalog file. There should be a file with the ".lock" extension. If you can't find this, click on the Catalog file and LR will open using this catalog. If you are still having problems, post a screen shot of the folder containing your LR catalog file.[

Everybody...I can't open LR at all to get in to a folder. When I click on the LR logo on my screen, what I get is explained in my initial post.

Everybody...I can't open LR at all to get in to a folder. When I click on the LR logo on my screen, what I get is explained in my initial post.
You find the location of your LR catalog using Windows Explorer. You are wanting to find files using your file system not LR. Sorry that you did not understand that when everyone suggests looking for the ".lock" file extension, that the obvious too is Windows Explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back