• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Numpty rookie error

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbum

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic CC
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
  2. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Cold sweats and panic have now subsided, I post this as a warning for others, on the assumption there maybe other numpties like me out there.
In a bid to clear some space on my MacBook Pro 15" I have today been removing and deleting unwanted/unused apps and folders on my system.
You can guess, I managed to DELETE the wrong Lightroom app.

I have (had) Lightroom Classic/Lightroom 6/Lightroom Web and Lightroom cloud-based photo service on my MacBook. As I only now use the newer Lightroom Classic CC (on subscription) I thought I'd get rid of the others. Instead of deleting what I thought were the unwanted Lightrooms, I managed to uninstall my LR Classic!!

Resolved problem by downloading Class CC again and using backup .lcat file. Note to self and any other numpties DON'T DELETE , double check and uninstall when you are absolutely sure and of course after you backup your .lcat daily. Tomorrow, it's my Windows 10 system's turn.

I blame Adobe, this wouldn't have happened (maybe) if they named their software in a more understandable way, too many apps called Lightroom.

Thanks for the reminders. Yes, the naming really doesn't help! But being able to download fairly easily from the CC App helps.

One addition for all to note from my earlier post on deleting LR:
PLEASE NOTE if deleting or removing LR, you will also lose any plug-ins you had originally installed. Remember to store your plug-ins in a folder, so that you can re-install after loading LR again.
Fortunately for me, I had retained most of my plug-ins, but sadly not all.
Chris

One addition for all to note from my earlier post on deleting LR:
PLEASE NOTE if deleting or removing LR, you will also lose any plug-ins you had originally installed. Remember to store your plug-ins in a folder, so that you can re-install after loading LR again.
Fortunately for me, I had retained most of my plug-ins, but sadly not all.
Chris
Chris

They should be part of your backup plan (what if the disk failed?)

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/backup-lightroom-files/

Assuming that you really mean plugins, I'd recommend not installing plugins in the program folders. It's far better to put them elsewhere, for instance on Dropbox. This means they are available to all your computers, and you only need to update then once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back