Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom version: 6.14 [ 1149743 ]
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Using 6.1.4

I will admit I find the Library in LR confusing at best.
Normally it’s ‘can’t locate image’ issue, this one is different.

Today I opened LR …. Used Library to go to folder I wanted to look at ….. folder is there and so are 17 pictures that should be there ….. however in the ‘actual folder’ on my HDD there are 20 pictures …. 3 of them are not shown in LR
I tried ‘import’ but it does not show any files to import from that folder.
How can I ‘force it’ to take on these extra 3 images. (legal jpeg, nothing special)
These are valid images, open fine if I click on them on HDD, so it’s a LR Library issue

Using 6.1.4

I will admit I find the Library in LR confusing at best.
Normally it’s ‘can’t locate image’ issue, this one is different.

Today I opened LR …. Used Library to go to folder I wanted to look at ….. folder is there and so are 17 pictures that should be there ….. however in the ‘actual folder’ on my HDD there are 20 pictures …. 3 of them are not shown in LR
I tried ‘import’ but it does not show any files to import from that folder.
How can I ‘force it’ to take on these extra 3 images. (legal jpeg, nothing special)
These are valid images, open fine if I click on them on HDD, so it’s a LR Library issue
Extra info -
In Library view I checked on 'All' (was on 'New') and it does show the 3 pictures missing, but when I click on them I get message "This appears to be a duplicate of another photo already in the catalog"

What is the best way to resolve ?

In the All Photographs view in Library, use the text search to find the "other" copy of those photos and decide which one you want to keep. Or, in the import dialog, uncheck the "don't import suspected duplicates" checkbox in the File Handling panel to allow it to be imported as a duplicate.

I don't get any import dialog as it does not see any files to import ?
If I do a Windows search ,,,, it does show the files and in their correct folder ... is there a way to force LR to import these ?

There are a few other files with same name (camera defaults numberring) but they are diffrent inages in different locations.
Do I have to rename images to force an import?

In Library view I checked on 'All' (was on 'New') and it does show the 3 pictures missing, but when I click on them I get message "This appears to be a duplicate of another photo already in the catalog"

You were in the import dialog when you saw this. Library view doesn't have these options.

I'll try to explain what I see
The images that are missing are in the same folder on HDD as teh ones that do show in library
Using Library view in LR, I navigate to the folder .... files are missing from the images running across the bottom of the screen
If I click 'Import' and navigate to the folder .... it shows all the files that I can access, each with a black border, and it also shows the missing ones but they have a grey border.
There is no option to select them.
However under file handling ..... I found the option to 'uncheck' don't import suspected duplicates ... and it imported the 3 files.

I really don't get on with LR library / catalogue ...... it's not intuitive, such a pity as LR itself is very good.

Great, glad you're back up and running. If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest reading the Quick Start eBook under Downloads in the menubar, it might fill in a few gaps to make the catalog more comfortable for you.

Thanks, it did solve the immediate problem ... I'm sure my catalogue is in a mess as I had a habit of putting files in a folder on desktop ..... editing then later files in Pictures sub-folders...
Is there a way to rebuild the catalogue or some for of repair tool to identify errors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back