• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Noise reduction problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misterz

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
Hello,

I am finding that when I export a RAW file (I use Olympus) the image looks quite different as a jpeg than what shows in Lightroom. It seems that the noise reduction that I dialed is not applied to the jpeg. If I go back to LR and zero out the NR I then see the same result in LR as the exported image. The exported image is very grainy/noisy. It is unusable. The only way to get a marginally acceptable jpeg is to go into LR and dial the NR to maximum (which looks ridiculous in LR) and then export to a jpeg.
Anybody else experience this? Anybody know the cause and remedies?

Thank you,
Mark

Anybody else experience this? Anybody know the cause and remedies?

Basically - no. I have not seen this, nor heard of it. Nor do I have any solutions to try.
What are your settings for the NR?
Are you looking at the image at 100% , or 1:1, when you make your observations?
What if you don't sharpen your image?
What happens if you export a tiff?

I process Olympus files (E-M1 Mk I) in LR and have not had problems with NR or sharpening when exporting. My usual workflow is to work down to these two commands and then start with NR. It can sometimes be subtle so I work at 1:1 in the window while I slowly move the slider until I see the desired results. For me this is usually around 40 or so on an average image. The image usually loses that grainy texture, but still retains detail. Too much NR and all detail is lost and things looks plastic-like. I then dial in a bit of sharpening and that helps the image look a bit "crisper".

I would try to work the sliders at 1:1 if you are not already doing so, and then examine your exported jpeg files at 1:1 as well. You may or may not see subtle differences, but at some point you should start seeing a difference.

Good luck,

--Ken

You could also put a raw file and the resultant jpeg you don't like in something like Dropbox, post the links here and post the settings for both NR and Sharpening. We could take a look and comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back