• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Noise Filter Renaming Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgwalter

John G. Walter
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 12.3
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
While the new 'Denoise' function seems to work great, it is creating some problems with my renaming functions.

For years, I have renamed my camera files to include the 'date' and the 'original file suffix'. 'Denoise' adds 'Enhanced-NR' to the end of my file name when creating its new DNG file. I don't mind this since the new file should be identified in some manner, but, it is creating problems with my Export renaming. Again, for years, I have included 'Today's Date' (entered manually in a custom text field), followed by the 'original number suffix'.

The Export function does not recognize the 'Enhanced-NR', along with the file number suffix.

Example: (preset parameters in italics)

1. Original File Name: APC_1960.dng

2. Renamed after import to: jgwalter_230426_1960.dng. (jgwalter_Date (YYMMDD)_Original number suffix)

3. New file created after running Denoise: jgwalter_230426_1960-Enhanced-NR.dng

4. File created by Export preset: john-g-walter_230426_230605_.jpg. (john-g-walter_Date (YYMMDD)_Custom Text_Original number suffix). <--Custom Text is 230605

As you can see, I've lost the original number suffix along with the Enhanced-NR that was attached to it, AND, it did not recognize the original number suffix that I added at the end.

For an 'Export' file, I don't really need the 'Enhanced-NR', but I do need the original number suffix.

I'd appreciate any help about how to fix this (if it can be fixed). And, any help about how to automate the 'today's date' entry instead of manually adding it each day to the preset?

Thanks in advance. :)

The Original Number suffix is defined to be the numeric characters from the right to left up to but not including any Alpha characters. You can see that your file does not contain such described numeric suffix. I haven looked at whether “DeNoise”. Renaming preset can be changed. (I’m not at my computer atm). If you can, then create a DeNoise naming preset to your liking. You can always rename the DeNoise” created file before you export. Or create an Export preset that incorporates the full file name (which already has most of everything you are putting into the current export preset.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Original Number suffix is defined to be the numeric characters from the right to left up to but not including any Alpha characters. You can see that your file does not contain such described numeric suffix. I haven looked at whether “DeNoise”. Renaming preset can be changed. (I’m not at my computer atm). If you can, then create a DeNoise naming preset to your liking. You can always rename the DeNoise” created file before you export. Or create an Export preset that incorporates the full file name (which already has most of everything you are putting into the current export preset.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, correct. Since the new file created by Denoise has appended the text to what was the file number suffix, it no longer exists as such. Furthermore, it changed the 'Original File Name' to the full name of the new file, which means it doesn't exist there either. So, editing the new file's name doesn't help my cause either.

Adobe has acknowledged this bug with the Original Number Suffix renaming token and files created by Enhance:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/ligh...-exporting-an-ai-denoise-image/idi-p/13769039

You could try this workaround:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/ligh...ing-an-ai-denoise-image/idc-p/13793869#M43678

That method could also help add today's date to the file renaming.
Manually changing the Denoise-produced filename does not work. Since it changed the 'Original File Name' to its current filename, the number suffix is no longer available. For now, it appears the only remedy is to change the names of the exported files manually.

Manually changing the Denoise-produced filename does not work. Since it changed the 'Original File Name' to its current filename, the number suffix is no longer available. For now, it appears the only remedy is to change the names of the exported files manually.
The workaround I linked to doesn't depend on Original File Name. Here are detailed steps for the workaround, using the Bag-o-goodies plugin:

1. Select the files to be exported, which are assumed to have names of the form jgwalter_yymmdd_nnnn<optional trailing characters>, where nnn is the original file suffix and <optional trailing characters> may be empty or, say, of the form -Enhanced-NR.

2. Run the plugin's Write Data Field command with this setting:
1686000841607.png

This stores in the IPTC Headline field the desired file name of the exported file, of the form jgwalter_yymmdd_yymmdd_nnnn, where the second yymmdd is today's date and nnnn is the original file suffix.

3. Run Export, using the File Naming option to rename the exported file to the Headline token:
1686001160810.png

(You can use any other metadata field for this that you're not otherwise using.)

It's possible to do the desired renaming as part of Export using the Run Any Command plugin by the same author, though it involves messier shell scripting. In outline: The Command To Execute would use the Mac OS "cp" command-line program to make a copy of the exported file using the desired final filename (of the same form as in step 2) into a temp folder. Then Command To Execute Upon Completion would use the "rm" command-line program to remove all the original exported files, the "mv" command to move the renamed copies from the temp folder to the original destination folder, and the "rm" command to remove the temp folder. The details are left as an exercise for the reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back