• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you ever disappointed with your photos? Do you get frustrated when you’re editing because you’ve been told to move certain sliders, but never been told WHY? Do you wish you could transform your photos without having to spend hours in front of the computer? In our books, Adobe Lightroom - The Missing FAQ and Adobe Lightroom - Edit Like a Pro you’ll learn:
    • how to to analyze a photo like a pro, saving you hours of frustration.
    • WHY you might want to move specific sliders, instead of just following recipes.
    • what the sliders are doing behind the scenes.
    • how to use sliders together, instead of in isolation, so you can get the optimal result
    Lightroom Classic us based on the folder-based version of Lightroom and Edit Like a Pro is based on the cloud-native Lightroom desktop and mobile apps, but the principles also apply to Lightroom 6. The sliders are arranged into slightly different panels, but there's an included PDF that shows you where to find them in 6.

Noise/Artifacts - is there anything I can do?

BadWolf

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version
LR Classic 10.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Noticed recently my iPhone XR is taking horrible pictures. Outdoor photos are better. I'm assuming it's an issue with low light/high ISO. I think it's a hardware issue but wanted to share to see if anyone had any ideas on if there was a way to correct these in LR. As you can see, the photo is very noisy and also has, not sure what to call it, blockiness? artifacts? You can see the blocks/pixels on the wood floor how they are not smooth.

I especially notice this on photos of people. Their faces don't look right...almost like they were painted or smoothed out too much, and looks plasticy. In the face picture for example, it looks like more than noise. I just don't know what to call it or how to fix?

face 100.jpg
floor 100.jpg

Attachments

• face.jpg
    face.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
My first thought looking at the photo of the child is it was taken in "portrait" mode, a settings in the newer iPhones. I turned it off in my phone. The other issue, the blockiness, might be because of the resolution; for instance, if the image is simply too small to render well. Without having your phone in front of me, however, everything I've just written is conjecture! Hope it helps, anyway.

BadWolf

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Thank you for the reply. I had thought about resolution as well but it’s really cranked high. I can apply noise reduction but then people look plastic-like and as for the floor, it’s just to pixelated
23DAF702-EFB5-4C47-86BF-4B6790F5A25D.jpeg

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
You might try shooting similar images in DNG using an app like ProCamera, and see if you have the same problem as with JPGs - so, for instance, it could be a matter of how the phone is compressing/processing the original image. Offhand, you might want to run some controlled tests to see how the phone acts under similar - and different circumstances - to see if it is a hardware problem, or just one of those things (which I've encountered, leading the conclusion that, for some photos, it's just one of those things...).

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
These artifacts lokks like a result of the jpeg compression. I think the compression level is too high. I don't know I-Phone, but there might be a pameters in the camera for the jpeg called something like "compression level" or "quality level". If so, try to change it to a lower compression or a better quality.