Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Hello Everyone,

my first post here.
So first things first. Thanks to the Lightroom Queen for setting this all up. Thanks to Peter Krogh for pointing me to TLQ. Thanks to all of you for showing up here to both teach and learn together.

I tried for the first time ever to start a tethered capture in LR.
I use a Tether Tools Tether Pro USB cable to connect my Nikon D800 to my iMac running LR.
Once gone through the steps I get a "no camera detected" message.

I have tried the following as workarounds, none have solved my issue:
- Turn the camera on and off
- Reboot the computer
- Test the connection on all 4 USB ports available on my iMac
- Validate the D800 was connected to the iMac using Apple Photo Capture Import App on the iMac. D800 connected and contents recognised.
- Use a blank and recently formatted memory card before initiating the tethered capture session.

That above was pretty much all I could find on the web or think of on my own.

Do you guys have any other workable tips or ready made solutions to my problem ?

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Your post says that you are using version 5.3. There are several Lightroom Apps and this is not clear as to which Lightroom App you are using . The latest Lightroom app is by subscription and is called Lightroom Classic v10.4. Prior to the subscription plan, standalone versions were sold and this ended with version 6.14 The standalone version was called Lightroom. Now there is a cloud only based version of Lightroom app that uses the name "Lightroom". It is at version 4.4 on the MacOS and version 6.x on mobile devices like iPhone and Android.

I can presume that you are using the obsolete standalone version called Lightroom version (v5.3). This version is no longer supported and though Adobe support for tethering for the D800 required a minimum version of 4.2, Nikon changed their API and support for tethering on MacOS 10.9 or later was broken and Adobe was not able to fix this until the Lightroom Classic version called Lightroom CC 2015.4. This document explains https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-and-el-capitan---mac-os-10-11.html/

If you are still using the Legacy version 5.3 on MacOS version 10.13, your only workable solution is to subscribe to Lightroom Classic. While not really a working solution, you could down grade your OS to "Yosemite" MacOS 10.10.

Your post says that you are using version 5.3. There are several Lightroom Apps and this is not clear as to which Lightroom App you are using . The latest Lightroom app is by subscription and is called Lightroom Classic v10.4. Prior to the subscription plan, standalone versions were sold and this ended with version 6.14 The standalone version was called Lightroom. Now there is a cloud only based version of Lightroom app that uses the name "Lightroom". It is at version 4.4 on the MacOS and version 6.x on mobile devices like iPhone and Android.

I can presume that you are using the obsolete standalone version called Lightroom version (v5.3). This version is no longer supported and though Adobe support for tethering for the D800 required a minimum version of 4.2, Nikon changed their API and support for tethering on MacOS 10.9 or later was broken and Adobe was not able to fix this until the Lightroom Classic version called Lightroom CC 2015.4. This document explains https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-and-el-capitan---mac-os-10-11.html/

If you are still using the Legacy version 5.3 on MacOS version 10.13, your only workable solution is to subscribe to Lightroom Classic. While not really a working solution, you could down grade your OS to "Yosemite" MacOS 10.10.
Thanks a lot Cletus.
I am using the obsolete standalone Ligthroom v5.3

I guess I will have to look for an alternative tethering software then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back