• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 21 February 2024 It's Lightroom update time again! See What’s New in Lightroom Classic 13.2, Mobile & Desktop (February 2024)? for all the update news. It's mainly new cameras, new lenses and loads of bug fixes in this release.

Nikon Z series pixel shift - supported in LrC 13?

PhilBurton

Lightroom enthusiast (and still learning)
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 13.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I just read about Firmware release 2 for my new Z8. https://www.dpreview.com/news/07388...EMAIL_ID]&mc_cid=0a4ee5b9d1&mc_eid=7e8db71b7c

One new feature is Pixel Shift, a series of image taken with the sensor shifted 1/2 or 1 pixel. Are images created by Pixel Shift support in Lrc 13? According to the Nikon website, a new version of NX Studio is required to combine a series of pixel shifted image into one larger image with better image quality. https://nikonimglib.com/nxstdo/onlinehelp/en/merge_pixel_shift_pictures_50.html However, however, the resulting image has an NEFX suffix. I suspect (because I haven't actually tried) that LrC can't process an NEFX file.

Pixel Shift for Nikon is available in Camera Raw (so you could create a DNG there for LrC), and will be available in the next release of Lightroom.

I've done some reading on Pixel Shift. It is useful only for a static subject, e.g. landscape or product photo, and if the camera is mounted on a tripod. For my typical photography, those conditions rule out most of my typical subjects. But it's still good to have this feature.

@Paul McFarlane Just wondering if you disclosed confidential Adobe information with your comments. That said, I do appreciate the comments. I'm glad to see that I don't need to start using Nikon Capture NX in my workflow.

@Paul McFarlane Just wondering if you disclosed confidential Adobe information with your comments. That said, I do appreciate the comments. I'm glad to see that I don't need to start using Nikon Capture NX in my workflow.

Updates to proprietary Camera formats are generally added 2+/- months or the next decimal LrC update. Since it is already available in ACR, you can expect the feature to be in the next LrC (v13.2) that should be released any day now. V 13.1 was released in December.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that @RikkFlohr revealed that information on the Adobe Community forum a day or so ago.

I appreciate your mentioning. With the new feature being available in the publically available ACR 16.1.1, I can confirm Adobe is happy with it being mentioned as coming in the next Lightroom Release.

I appreciate your mentioning. With the new feature being available in the publically available ACR 16.1.1, I can confirm Adobe is happy with it being mentioned as coming in the next Lightroom Release.
Any thoughts on the potential for photographing the moon with Pixel Shift via fixed tripod mounted Z8 and 400mm f4.5. Will the moon move too rapidly in the sky during the multi exposure of pixel shift ? One way to find out !

Will the moon move too rapidly in the sky during the multi exposure of pixel shift?
I know of someone who recently tried this and found that, yes, the moon does move too quickly! But let us know how you get on!

Given the apparent motion of the moon at 400mm, the necessary multiple exposures needed by pixel-shift, and the amount of time it takes from first to last exposure, you will likely find that the moon has moved too much, resulting in an image that is less than sharp and not significantly better than a single raw exposure up-res'd. No doubt, someone will come up with a formula for a focal length where a pixel-shift becomes advantageous but I haven't seen one yet.

Back