NIK with imported catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

nealw

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
NIK collection does not find Lightroom photos that have been imported from a catalog on another computer. Error message says it cannot find the photo (located in directory of external computer/ hard drive from which the photo was imported)
Is this a NIK or LR issue? Solutions?

Sounds like you imported the images from another catalog, but left the originals on the drive of the other computer. Importing only adds the images to your catalog. You also have to move (or copy) them to a disk that is currently available to Lightroom.

so how do i do this?
I moved the images in the catalog as collections . When the catalog imported the images were just as I had them in collections on the laptop.
Do I have to copy the images on the lap top to an ext hard drive, then import the images to the collections on my desk top?

Why don't the images come within the catalog?

Thanks.

You have to copy the images from the laptop to the drive that the main computer is using for its images, but do not re-import them. After you've copied the images, start Lightroom, and look for their folder in the Lightroom folder panel. The folder will probably show as 'missing' (question mark and name in italics) because it's on the drive of the other computer. Right-click on the folder, choose 'Find Missing Folder' and navigate to the folder you just copied. Select it and you're done. You may have to restart Lightroom before the new location shows.

I will try this. But.. why can I edit images from the catalog that I brought in using LR but can't do further edits with nik? What files is LR using for edits then?
Thanks

I will try this. But.. why can I edit images from the catalog that I brought in using LR but can't do further edits with nik? What files is LR using for edits then?
Thanks

Lightroom might be using a smart preview if the original is missing. Nik needs the original to be present, because a derivative (tiff, psd) needs to be created and sent to Nik.

Thanks!
Added original files from ext. hard drive, and things are fine. I usually reference Scott Kelby's book for spot on info, but did not do so in this case. Web resource did not have me keep box checked to import photo files as part of the catalog export. Had I done that would not have had any problems. Now I know :)

Appreciate your prompt and accurate assessment!

Neal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back