Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenon

Did you turn it off and on again?
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
PS CC (latest) and Classic 7.3 (soon to be 7.31). I have downloaded that from Google and the DXO website. Both times all PS does is crash and LR only opens a TIFF. Is there an explanation? I searched the web and there are suggestions about font duplicates and a few others I did bother with.

The reference is that they declared themselves bankrupt. Which means that people are unlikely to believe anything that a bankrupt company says, whatever the truth. The complete absence of any proof of life has not helped.

Back to Nik software

You nailed it... Agreed.. LR has HDR and now creative profiles so how much do we need to risk on Nik until we see proof of life?

As I said, Nik is software owned by DxO. What you feel about it is up to you but we should get the facts right. And the owner DxO has plenty of signs of life in respect of DxO PhotoLab software where they are working on version 2 and Nik where there has been one update already. I make no assessment as to whether the software is good or bad in terms of a LR plugin or for you personally. The fact is that DxO filed for bankruptcy in order to restructure its operation to focus on the PhotoLab and Nik group of products. That has now happened.

Well it seems Nik is generally still well regarded and LR alternatives are generally hit and miss and LR is still well regarded, so a USD$10 came through in my email so I just took it and bought it.. Will see what happens.

Loving it so far, I can see why the B&W module is so highly regarded. And yes it has colour filters now too.

BTW the discount code valid until tomorrow (15th October) is NIK-COLLECTION-10-2018 - so for anyone thinking about buying it USD$10 may be an enticement.

Well, fortunate I don't have to make any decisions yet. Just tried every one of the Google updated Nik apps I have on the Mac and every one opens, edits and saves fine to the LR Classic in a stack, had no end of problems trying to use these by using External Editors in Photos for Mac with the edits either not saving or dumping to some obscure part of the system or even just crashing. Things just getting better and better with LR :)

What do you mean decisions? So you bought Nik and it's working fine for you?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

wow I have been reading up on Nik. ColourFX alone took me an hour to work through the intro on the DXO site. I can see why this was so popular for so long - it would just radically transform and expedite workflow for many people. E.g wedding photographers - it seems to be targetted at a professional level.

So to keep my workflow efficient though - each time I create a new TIFF that's what another 100MB or so - that will add up real fast unless I manage this properly. It's a shame it can't just work with DNG files directly like Lightroom does but perhaps that's just not technically possible. So I assume by working through the recommended workflow process, one can work through with the one TIFF file all along - hoping that they don't make a irreversible destructive edit along the way and have to start over from the DNG (I always convert to DNG in LR now - I don't see the point of keeping proprietary RAW files).

This suite is just insane, there is so much to it. For example - Selective Re-colourisation. I once spent days trying to work that out with Lightroom and still could not get it right. This does it out of the box.

I really hope development of this suite continues. I am not sure merging in to Adobe is a good idea though. Almost always - corporate buy-outs destroy the acquired operation. They say they won't meddle, then they do because shareholders demand more return, then everything gets blended in or trashed until ultimately it dies. And this has happened once already with Google. So fingers crossed DXO continue investing in this product.

It's pretty amazing and I can see how it could provide a 'competitive advantage' to photographers if leveraged well.

I really wish this forum had an edit post function (unless I'm missing it)..

So working through my first actual workflow now - I am selecting ProPhoto colourspace and 16bit / Edit copy with LR adjustments (latter only option available). I assume that's right.

What do you mean decisions? So you bought Nik and it's working fine for you?

As per my post on page 2. I bought Nik several years ago from Nik at $169. Sometime after that Google acquired it. At some stage the apps were all updated to v2, 3 or 4, I can't recall if they were updated by Nik prior to the Google buy out or by Google after they acquired the apps. However, I didn't expect the Google versions on the apps to work with Classic 7. Thus I thought I was going to need a replacement for Nik which I wasn't prepared to pay DXO for given the current situation. So, for now, I no longer need an urgent decision, at least up until such time as the Google versions stop working.

One thing I will say for DXO, they have gone into much more detail describing the filters than Nik ever did, unless the info was there and I just never reached it out.

Last edited:
I really wish this forum had an edit post function (unless I'm missing it)..

So working through my first actual workflow now - I am selecting ProPhoto colourspace and 16bit / Edit copy with LR adjustments (latter only option available). I assume that's right.

It does, but the option to edit expires after 10 minutes.

It does, but the option to edit expires after 10 minutes.

It does. We were having some issues with spammers posting good posts and then coming back and editing them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It does. We were having some issues with spammers posting good posts and then coming back and editing them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This seems to be the latest tactic used. I know on Corel's help forum this same method is being used.

Anyone know if HDR workflow can be optimised?

Presently I need to pre process each bracketed image individually eg RAW pre sharpener..

You can't batch pre-process with Nik.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back