• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Newbie- trying to adapt myself to Lightroom Classic [desktop app, not cloud]

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictoriaJZ

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I have used Apple's Aperture since it first came out and am now trying to transition to using Lightroom Classic. I've read the ebook and been trying to understand and move forward but am having a bit of trouble adjusting. First, I gather that there is no list view, unlike Aperture. That always made it easy for me to handle multiple images and sort them etc. But if not, I'll survive. Just want to be sure I'm not missing anything.

More importantly, I gather that this is a Referenced Catalog method == I always kept aperture libraries on drives [I tended to use discrete topics and not hide everything inside a huge master library] and not referenced, but I gather LRC is a referenced method = in which case, if I move the actual images from where they were to begin with, that may cause a problem. So just so I can be sure to handle things correctly = If I do need to move the images & Catalog [space reasons for instance] to a separate drive, I move both the catalog files and the images to the drive? In other words, don't separate images from the Catalog = I think I discovered this by importing to a catalog/collection and then moving the folders of images to my iCloud account for safe keeping and then not being able to edit further. How best to handle this? I'm starting over on my iMac and importing to a new catalog but know the day will come when I need to move this catalog off -

There is no list view in LR Classic, unfortunately.

Regarding images and catalogs, the catalog(s) keep track of images that are imported. So you should ideally have your images where you want them to live when you import them if you are adding them to a catalog. If you care moving or copying images in the import process, then you can have the image files moved to a preferred location. But the images and the catalogs do not need to live on the same drive. Ideally the images just should not be moved after importing them. If you do need to move the images, you can do so through LR Classic so it knows their new location and will update the catalog accordingly. If you move them outside of LR Classic, then you will need to "point" LR Classic to their new location. If the images are kept under a top level folder, it is not hard to point LR classic to the new location. If they are scattered, then you will have a bit of a mess on your hands. Hope this helps.

--Ken

Thank you = that is a help - right now I'm only dealing with my first catalog and working with two separate topics but know that I can import and then apply names, tags, keywords etc == I do have a followup Q = Reading the LRC Quickstart it talks about File Renaming panel on the R = but I only have File Handling and Apply during Import and no renaming = I thought as I imported I'd want to try the date template but there's no way to do that == am I missing something?

Thank you = that is a help - right now I'm only dealing with my first catalog and working with two separate topics but know that I can import and then apply names, tags, keywords etc == I do have a followup Q = Reading the LRC Quickstart it talks about File Renaming panel on the R = but I only have File Handling and Apply during Import and no renaming = I thought as I imported I'd want to try the date template but there's no way to do that == am I missing something?
I am guessing that you are in the "Add" mode of Import. Look at the top of the screen. If Add is selected, then you cannot rename files; that function only add them exactly as they are. Copy or Move will allow you to rename files during Import. But, you can always rename files after import in the Catalog.

On thing that I might suggest if you are still feeling your way around LR Classic is to copy a set of images that you can play with (since they are copies) and create a test catalog that you can also play with. This is helpful as it allows you to play around with features and learn without causing any damage to your main images. When you are done, you can then delete the catalog and the files and then work on your actual catalog. You can, for instance, learn how to rename files, inside LR Classic or during Import.

Also, please remember to have backup copies of all of your images. LR only read their location during import, it does not make any copies that it stores inside of the catalog (excepting previews). This is essential in case something happens to your files.

--Ken

Again many thanks -- your suggestion of a test catalog is good = tho I can easily use this import as my test - I'm moving slowly and carefully = and have TimeMachine backup set to BU plus do a separate clone occasionally = even with Aperture I kept multiples [too many - pity my poor executor down the road!!]. I guess for now I'll just Add them and rename later = as I said, two topics combined in one catalog [will separate into collection per the ebook] so might be a good test itself == again, thank you!

right now I'm only dealing with my first catalog
Aside from the "test" catalogue that Ken suggested, things work better if you only have one catalogue. LRC allows you to find the image you want, but it doesn't have the ability to search across a collection of several catalogues, so life gets more complicated with more than one.

Thanks -- that's my intent, starting with this Catalog - a pretty finite topic and a good test = and then I need to convert my Aplibraries = down the road, after I've deleted the chaff from them.

OK = when I imported the 2700 images [two topics but used file renaming to use date order and image #] and when I did so did select NOT to import duplicates - then recalled that one of the folders imported from was indeed Dups [my mistake] and looking at the Grid I can tell many are. So went in, selected the Source folder and Smart collected all within that Duplicates folder - and rated them as 1* to begin with but then reviewing them while lots were dups some were not - more importantly if I want to delete the Dups from LRC catalog [Delete from Disk] will that delete the dups in that source folder or do I go in and delete from the source folder first and then they'll be gone from LRC anyway? I do miss List View!!!!

OK = when I imported the 2700 images [two topics but used file renaming to use date order and image #] and when I did so did select NOT to import duplicates - then recalled that one of the folders imported from was indeed Dups [my mistake] and looking at the Grid I can tell many are. So went in, selected the Source folder and Smart collected all within that Duplicates folder - and rated them as 1* to begin with but then reviewing them while lots were dups some were not - more importantly if I want to delete the Dups from LRC catalog [Delete from Disk] will that delete the dups in that source folder or do I go in and delete from the source folder first and then they'll be gone from LRC anyway? I do miss List View!!!!
From within LR Classic, you have the option to delete the images from the catalog AND LEAVE THEM on your drive, or to delete them from the catalog AND DELETE THEM from your drive. You will be prompted in the menu box. Be sure to pay attention before you make your selection.

--Ken

From within LR Classic, you have the option to delete the images from the catalog AND LEAVE THEM on your drive, or to delete them from the catalog AND DELETE THEM from your drive. You will be prompted in the menu box. Be sure to pay attention before you make your selection.

--Ken
Thank you Ken =-= is there a way to use a keystroke to delete from disk? I've marked all the dups with a purple color/flag and am going thru and selecting the dups [by eyeball] and I know I can remove from Catalog but have to punch the Delete button separately == I can understand why maybe my desire to make my life easier may not be a good answer = but just wondered if there was some sort of system in LRC to set up keystrokes?

So-called "splat-delete". Cmd+Opt+Shift+Delete. Be careful. It simply deletes the file(s) with no warning dialogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back