Gianni

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
4.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Other (please note in thread)
Aperture since its inseption. Like Aperture I want to name each import of photo in my own personal way. Then like Aperture within that import, I want to name a project within that imported set. I am using a Mac and am not sure of the LR jargon for doing what I mentioned above. Thanks

Lightroom is not the same as Aperture, so it's not a matter of simply learning new jargon. Lightroom does not have projects. The thing that is closest to a project -but definitely not the same- is probably a 'collection set'. Within this set, you can have collections which are very similar to Aperture albums and smart collections which are very similar to smart albums.

Ok. How do I save or back up Lightroom files and images so I can acces them later with all changes intact? Aperture allows one to save all work as a single project which can be copied to other hard drives for access later, with all changes intact.

Ok. How do I save or back up Lightroom files and images so I can acces them later with all changes intact? Aperture allows one to save all work as a single project which can be copied to other hard drives for access later, with all changes intact.
Lightroom works very much like Aperture if you use a 'referenced library' in Aperture (images stored outside of the library), not a 'managed library' (images stored inside the library). Just like Aperture you do not have to hit 'save' when you do some work. Everything is saved automatically all the time. You simply need to backup your catalog file and the images, just in case you have a calamity. Lightroom can make a backup of the catalog on quit, but it does not make a backup of your pictures (like a vault in Aperture), so you have to use something else for that. Time Machine comes to mind...

Welcome to the forum. Lightroom keeps a record of all changes (including edits) in the catalog file which is a database. Any time you open an image file in LR. LR merges the changes with the original file to give you a current view of the modified image . If you want to preserve a record of these change you need to use the Publish or Export function which will create a derivative image file that looks like the modified image in LR. Basically, this is what Aperture was doing when it created a project that allowed you to view the edited images in Preview or a similar app.
The terminology is different and this takes some getting used to. The workflow is also different as you will find less and less need to create derivatives and store these derivatives locally. The Publish Service will permit you to publish to the web in places like Facebook without creating a permanent intermediate derivative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back