• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

New to Lightroom CC, which way to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Wimlett

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 7.3
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
This is my first post, so hello to everybody :) I'm relatively new to Lightroom and, despite a lot of reading, am still unsure about which version to use.

I used LR in the past (before moving to Aperture) and have recently signed up for the photography plan, intending to use Classic. However, I'd like to be able to edit photos on my Galaxy S3 tablet as well as my MacBook Pro. I understand that I can create synced folders in Classic for the projects I'm working on, but I'm not sure if all of the edits I make using Lightroom CC on the S3 are synced back to the Macbook. (I'll admit that I don't fully understand smart previews). Also, are any subsequent edits made in Classic recognised back in CC?

Alternatively, I could just use Lightroom CC, which seems to be catching up fast with CC, and not have to worry about what to sync. I'm still thinking through what I'd actually miss from Classic, especially as I don't have legacy collections of third part plugins, etc.

I use a Fuji X-T2 so am aware of the issues with Fuji Raw file, but I guess both LRs use ACR so this shouldn't be a factor?

Can anyone offer advice please?

Chris

I've just realised that I'd lose Photoshop if I went for the 1GB photography plan and I don't really want to pay £20 per month. So, I'll investigate LR Classic (Mac) to LR CC (Galaxy) workflows. Any advice on this still welcome :)

You get 20GB of cloud storage with the $9.99 plan which includes both LR Classic CC and PS CC.

LR CC's editing features are pretty limited compared to Classic. I know you can sync so you can access images on both. LR CC syncs to the cloud automatically. You have to tell LR Classic to sync but I don't know how to link the two as I currently don't use the cloud. I have read about it and it is not that hard to do. I'm just saying I would not want to only use LR CC.

There are two variants of the £10 p.m. Photography Plan....one is the LRCC-only bundle, which includes 1TB cloud space. The other is the LR Classic + Photoshop + LRCC bundle, which includes 20GB cloud space.

In terms of using Classic and syncing to the cloud, not a lot has fundamentally changed since this concept was introduced back in the LR5 cycle, although the apps themselves have progressed significantly. There are a few intricacies that need to be understood, but most have these have already been aired in many different posts on different forums. Victoria included a chapter on Cloud Syncing in her latest LR Classic Missing FAQ book, which is well worth buying.

The bottom line is that it is relatively straightforward to get the "pictures on all your devices wherever you may be" benefit of the cloud syncing while still using LR Classic as the main base for your images and processing.....you just need to understand those intricacies.

Right. I didn't mention you also get LR CC with the Photography Plan.

Thanks both, it is the 20GB plan that I've got. I bought Victoria's (excellent) book, but haven't got as far as the Cloud sync chapter. I'll read that before going any further.

You said 1GB plan in the 2nd post. You must of meant 100 for the one app plan and I should have realized this with your first post. The Photo Plan offers 1 TB but that is still 20 a month. You also said 20 pounds. 20 US is about 15 pounds I think. I used this calculator.

XE: Convert USD/GBP. United States Dollar to United Kingdom Pound

Sorry Zenon, yes that was a typo. Sadly, in the UK the cost is £19.97 per month for the 1TB plan - it's probably mostly due to the 20% VAT we have to pay.

One fairly major issue, hopefully to change in future cloud version updates, is that thus far there is no way to easily apply edits to multiple photos. Can't copy/past e settings to more than one, no sync button for develop settings, and no way to do it on import. I know as I was a LR4 user who just lately added a new camera (M50 Canon which uses their new CR3 RAW) so needed a new editor. Tried LRCC (Cloud) trial version, but that would drive me nuts. Yes I'm an amateur who uses it casually, but that doesn't mean I want to waste my time! If all 30 pics I just took need say Landscape Sharpening and Adobe Landscape Profile, Lens Correction and a hint of noise reduction I want to do it once not with 29 "copy paste" commands. Thus I went on to trial 7.3 Classic CC and that is what I will be using. FWIW I also tried ON1 Photo Raw 2018 and like the interface/design but was slowed to a crawl with something simple like crop tool on my 3 yr old ASUS 8 gig Core i7 Ultrabook w 8 gig RAM and an SSD. Been a busy day - hardest part of buying a new camera!

One fairly major issue, hopefully to change in future cloud version updates, is that thus far there is no way to easily apply edits to multiple photos. Can't copy/past e settings to more than one, no sync button for develop settings
Hi Lungdoc, welcome to the forum!
I know that one's a priority for the team, so hopefully not too long before we see that added.

One fairly major issue, hopefully to change in future cloud version updates, is that thus far there is no way to easily apply edits to multiple photos. Can't copy/past e settings to more than one, no sync button for develop settings, and no way to do it on import. I know as I was a LR4 user who just lately added a new camera (M50 Canon which uses their new CR3 RAW) so needed a new editor. Tried LRCC (Cloud) trial version, but that would drive me nuts. Yes I'm an amateur who uses it casually, but that doesn't mean I want to waste my time! If all 30 pics I just took need say Landscape Sharpening and Adobe Landscape Profile, Lens Correction and a hint of noise reduction I want to do it once not with 29 "copy paste" commands. Thus I went on to trial 7.3 Classic CC and that is what I will be using. FWIW I also tried ON1 Photo Raw 2018 and like the interface/design but was slowed to a crawl with something simple like crop tool on my 3 yr old ASUS 8 gig Core i7 Ultrabook w 8 gig RAM and an SSD. Been a busy day - hardest part of buying a new camera!

Hi Lungdoc,

Yes, I've decided to use Classic on the MacBook for the moment and CC on my tablet, but see how desktop CC develops. I'm impressed at the rate that new features are being added at the moment.

I bought a Fujifilm XT-2 in November and yes, that was the easy bit. The X-T2 replaced a Sony A6000 so I lost the huge discount that Sony users get on Capture One. I tried pretty well every RAW converter/picture editor, and read reviews and forum posts until my head was spinning, before settling on Adobe. It's nice to get back to just taking pictures

I'd really like to move to LR CC but am staying with classic; more powerful and I've got near 5TB of raw images.

My only major gripe is the syncing of keywords between lightroom cc on my mobile (I'd really like to be able to keyword stuff whilst not sat in front of my computer) and not being able to make synced smart collections.

Victoria has a good workaround for syncing smart collections in her book. Agreed that it would be nice to be able to sync keywords

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back