• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

New SSD + LR 9.3 upgrade = many missing folders/files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rpdale77

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I recently graduated from Windows 7 on my PC to Windows 10 complete with a new SSD. Being slow on the mechanics of this, a computer tech did it for me.
I also upgraded from LR 6 to LR 9.3, thinking that would be the thing to do.
The new drive is named "New volume (F)" and there are two (2) back ups labeled "Bob's Back Up (G") There are two I'm told as one is backing up the other.

I thought all was well until I actually opened Lightroom. Many folders were missing as shown by the grayed out areas plus the ominous question mark(s).
The collection area was no better (actually worse) as the left hand collection panel looked OK, but upon opening a collection, I encountered either a number of exclamation points or in many cases a blank image showing only metadata.
I have never moved or deleted any image except within Lightroom. I can only guess this occurred because of the new drive.

I have followed the page 436 instructions on how to find the misssing folders & files, but with very minimal success. I realize that it is up to me to find/relocate whatever is missing, but whenever I go to the last known location, I open up a screen showing many folders which do not correspond with all that is missing. It's attached.

I can't locate the missing files.

At this point, I'm stuck. I'm attaching some screenshots which might further explain what I'm talking about it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Greatly...

Attachments

• Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    803.2 KB · Views: 152
  • Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    413.8 KB · Views: 162
  • Screenshot (7).png
    Screenshot (7).png
    740.4 KB · Views: 145
  • Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    204 KB · Views: 152
Screenshots are great.

Ok, couple of questions...

1. In your Folders panel screenshot, there's a bunch of 2014 folders that have question marks. Looking in Explorer, where do you find those folders now?

2. In your collections screenshots, if you right-click one of those folders and choose Go to Folder in Library, where does it take you to? And then if you search in Explorer for those photos, where do you find them?

Hi Victoria - thanks for your help. Here's what I've found so far:

1. In the folders panel, selected "Balloon_Moonrise." I couldn't find that folder in Explorer as LR said unable to locate. If I try to locate it, I end up on a screen I've never seen before. No images, but symbols (metadata?)that are confusing. To make matters worse, if I click on one of those symbols, I get 1-2 error messages. Never seen these symbols before 9.3. Will attach screenshots.

2. In the collections panel, I selected "Portland 2011" and clicked on Go to Folder in Library. Nothing happened. Did not "go" anywhere.
Then I clicked on Explorer. LR said photo cannot be found.

I have screenshots coming out of my ears. Will attach the relevant ones as I've having trouble previewing them.
Another day, another challenge.

\
Screenshot (8).png
Screenshot (17).png
Screenshot (8).pngScreenshot (17).pngScreenshot (18).pngScreenshot (8).pngScreenshot (17).png

Attachments

• Screenshot (22).png
    Screenshot (22).png
    532.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Screenshot (24).png
    Screenshot (24).png
    424.7 KB · Views: 147
Screenshots are great.

In this screenshot
14254-5bead0a831373898f87a47541babcaf1.jpg

it tells you at the bottom which photo it's looking for, and then you click on the photo with the same name and click select.

In this one
14256-1552354cfdf1440cdd9f6952eb5cba02.jpg

you're viewing a folder, not a collection, so it's not taking you anywhere because you're already viewing the missing folder.

OK - thanks for the info. What do I need to do to correct this mess? I've been working at this for about 4-5 days and getting nowhere.
Do you know what happened here?

Your former locations show " F:\users\owner\... " One possibility is that when your computer tech set it up he/she gave a different name for you than "owner". Do you recall being asked what username you would prefer during the set-up? You can figure out what that name is by going to F:\Users\ in Explorer and seeing what usernames are listed. If F:\Users isn't present, look for Users in a different drive, most likely the C:\ drive.

Thanks for your input. Computer tech didn't say/ask anything about what name to use. Just said he would "transfer everything over as is."
Path on the new drive goes like this: New Volume (F) - users - owner - pictures
A check on old C:\ drive doesn't show much of anything - no mention of any name at all.

Did some more checking & found the following:

On "Bob's Back Up (G)" the path goes like this:

New Back Up -C:\users-Bob-Pictures-My Lightroom Photos.
Don't know if that helps, but I thought I'd pass it along.

In this screenshot
14254-5bead0a831373898f87a47541babcaf1.jpg

it tells you at the bottom which photo it's looking for, and then you click on the photo with the same name and click select.
Have you done this? Did it solve the missing photos for that folder?

Did that many times, but no success. Will try to contact someone who can correct problems with the new drive.
Holding my breath.

Thanks for checking back.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread. So what happened when you selected the photo in that screenshot? When you say no success, did it give an error message? Did it only reconnect the single photo? Or what happens?

Did not receive any type of an error message. It just didn't connect with anything.
In the meantime, I found someone who knows something about the trials and tribulations of transferring LR to a new drive.
Took close to three (3) hours, but he was finally able to reconnect and eliminate duplicates and other strange oddities. Quite a mess.
Problem finally solved.

Thanks for all your help/encouragement.

Oh that's great, well done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back